mapsource software for my etrex legend...

cruzbike

I just received my etrex legend one week ago and have been having a blast geocaching with my two sons (5yrs & 7yrs). I want to expand my mapablity with some mapsource software (I think Roads&Rec.).

Here's my question...I know that there will be roads & o ther details that don't show up on the software, but will my existing basemap still be there when I upload the mapsource stuff to my gps? Or does mapsource become the base map?

Thanks,

bri

(aka bcruzbike@yahoo.com)a icon_confused.gifs

Dios Te Bendiga!

I will try to answer this, the base map stays always on the gps( unless you do a softwear update then you might have to reload your base map), You can turn on or off your selected map or maps, it will most likly be a map of the county you have chosen to upload. I do suggest that you use the Roads & Rec , the topo's just put too much garbage on the small screen, If you upload more than one county dont turn on more than one at a time in your map setup it will really slow down the unit. I hope this helps.

You should probably check around on here for the numerous threads on mapsource cdroms... IIRC, the MetroGuide cds are newer and include everything that the Roads & Rec cdroms have...

You can also check on amazon.com... there are a bunch of reviews of the cds on there.

sean

I bought my Legend last week, and then the ExpertGPS software, Garmin MapSource TOPO and a Dell Laptop.....I've hooked up the laptop to the GPS, loaded the software and all is good!....

Question: I located a map on the Garmin MapSource TOPO software, and started to tranfer it into my Legend...A warning screen popped up stating "loading a map will erase the factory base map loaded by Garmin" (or something like that!) I decided to cancel the transfer, and ask this "question" before I proceed!....

Shouldn't I be able to download maps from the MP Topo program to exist "along side" the "America's Marine Base Map" loaded at the factory by Garmin?...

You will never lose the basemap which is kept in memory that's separate from the 8 MB available for MapSource maps. What you will overwrite is a map of marine buoys and other navigational aids that Garmin loads into the map memory at the factory (I guess they didn't want it to be totally wasted for those people who never buy MapSource). If you ever do want this map back, it's available on the Garmin website as a free download - but it can't coexist with the detailed MapSource maps. Note that Topo, R&R, and MG all include quite a few marine nav. aids as well, so you don't lose much by overwriting this data.

Bottom line is to go ahead and continue when the warning message comes up when you first download the detailed MapSource maps.