Change GCxxx to Cache Names in Easygps??

More questions. How can I change the GCxxx

to the Cache name in Easygps so that when downloaded to my Etrex Summit the names (or part of them) will show on my caches.

I get my caches in bulk from pocket queries.

I did experiment with trying to do this with

Spinner but was only getting 12 out of 100 caches.

However those 12 were perfect. Not sure what the deal was with the missing ones.

wingryder

quote:
Originally posted by wingryder:

I did experiment with trying to do this with

Spinner but was only getting 12 out of 100 caches.

However those 12 were perfect. Not sure what the deal was with the missing ones.

wingryder

Two things to check:

Do you have the most current version of EasyGPS?

Are you having the files sent as zip files?

If the answer to either one of these is no, it could be your problem.

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

Thanks Greg

The answer to both questions was no. I have only been geocaching for two months so figured my easy was still current but nope. Cured that and the spinner works like a champ. I just have it ditch the Gc numbers and put the Name in its place.

and the neat thing you can decide how many letters to display. The shorter the less clutter on the screen but of course harder to remember what it is.

thanks again

wingryder

Not sure you're going to like the result of what youre proposing. When I started geocaching I too wanted something more friendly than GCxxxx. After I re-named a few, went out to visit them and came back I went to log them and said:

CACHEINT (hey wait, which cache IS this?!?!?).

The GCxxxx filenames are uniquie so you don't run into that problem. What I do is print out the logs of each one in my area that I want to visit and palce them into a 3 ring binder. Serves two purposes. First the clues are there. Very helpful. The descriptions are there as well. Both of these are not available in just the waypoints.

I wrote a small utility to be able to easily enter a waypoint and print the logs. Geocacing Log Printer.

Hope this helps!

--

SpongeRob

rwmech@keenpeople.com

www.keenpeople.com

WPWU826

Cache'n Retrievers

crlogo.gif

Thanks SpongeRob

I have two gps units. On the 76S I can whip around on the screen, identify the caches with the enter button. On the Etrex Summit.. all you can do is zoom in and out. There is no way to display the cache names on the screen if you are marking the waypoints with GC numbers. There is no chance the gps will confuse the waypoints even if the two letter name happens to be the same as another because the cords. will be different.

Bottom line is I have no love for those GC numbers although I know why we have to have them.

wingryder