MERIDIAN GOLD CABLING QUESTION???

G3Guy

To be honest, I bought my Meridian Gold a year ago, thinking I'd break into the technology age and use GPS to support my treks into the wilderness. Alas, the "old dog - new trick" syndrome!! I just felt guilty about betraying my trusty compass that's wandered all over the continent with me. Long story short - I found you folks, gave it a try and I'm HOOKED!! So I dug out the Meridian, uploaded my MapSend Topo into my laptop (IBM Thinkpad) and low and behold, I don't have a serial port on the Thinkpad!! So there's the dilema - how to interface my Meridian Gold with my Thinkpad?. I guess I could wander off to the Magellan website and leave a request for a Tech to respond, but it appears some of you folks might have more "real time" knowledge. So her I am. Keep in mind, although I'm surrounded by hi-tech at work (Corporate Pilot) I'm actually a "technomoron". Go easy on me.

Thanks

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY

Bull Moose gave a good "offical" response, but I'd suggest you get another brand serial-USB converter. They should be available for $30 or so (and sometimes you can find them cheaper). Magellan's accessories tend to be overpriced.

Lessee if I can dig a link up...here's one for $23.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

Shop around. You can find them much cheaper than what the OEM's want for them. I got one delivered for less than $20. For some reason the link doesn't work anymore or I would have included it. I saw a post here before linking a site selling them for around 10~12 dollars. Maybe someone will Markwell this.

GF

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

logo_small.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by G3Guy:

Next question, are there software updates for the Meridian Gold? Mine shows a version 2.09

Yes ver4.02 is available and 4.06 is in beta.

Also mapsendtopo upgrade 4.20c is now available go to the Magellan group at yahoo for it, its great, with it I downloaded a 128 sdcard in 20 mins.

PS You might have to try a couple of differant cables before finding one that works, the one at Best buy would not work for me

All who look are not lost

quote:
Originally posted by vagabond:

Also mapsendtopo upgrade 4.20c is now available go to the Magellan group at yahoo for it, its great, with it I downloaded a 128 sdcard in 20 mins.

The Magellan lawyers started leaning on sites posting copyrighted material to remove such things as the 4.20c update. You can, however, get that update (if you need it...that might be the version you are purchasing) directly from Magellan.

The 4.06 firmware still seems to be up there, though. It may also come on the MapSend CD, though...

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt