EasyGPS Downloads

What I've been doing is downloading each page with the 25 waypoints. I save each as an individual file. After they are all saved, I use EasyGPS to load them into my GPS one file at a time. I then download all the waypoints from the GPS and save them into another file. From there I have to manually separate the geocache waypoints from the rest.

What a way to run the railroad... Once they are all downloaded it's interesting to use them to compute shortest routes, etc. I just wish I could take more time to visit ALL of them...

Interesting to see this discussion at this moment.

I just finished downloading ALL the Utah caches, and then downloading all the caches I haven't found.

Had to do them separately, which was a pain.

As was mentioned, I had to download each page into a file, and upload them as I went. SO I would open the page, select the caches, download, save, and upload to GPS. There are 23 pages for Utah, so I had to do this 23 times, whether I was doing ALL the caches, or just the unfound ones, since the pages still include those I have found. (We are hoping to have an option to hide the found caches, or place them all at the end)

My GPS only holds 500 waypoints, so I still do not have a file with ALL the Utah caches, but close enough.

I do have all the Utah caches I have not found, however, (about 300) so that will keep me busy for awhile. Now I just have to update from the "top of the heap" those that are added. Easy enough to do.

The ultimate that we are hoping for is the ability to request an area, or perhaps an entire state, and select to download "all" or "unfound" or whatever options we can get, so that it automatically downloads those that meet the search parameters. This would take about a minute, I imagine, as opposed to the half hour or so it now takes.

No word yet on whether it will be available to everyone or members. Sure would be a big incentive to get a membership.

bunkerdave

6327_1600.gif

There is an easier & faster way:

1. Download the first page of 25.

2. Download the second page of 25. It will save as a new file.

3. Keep repeating step 2 until you've downloaded all you want. You will have multiple files open at this time.

(I'm not at my home computer, so I'm going from memory on this next step.)

4. Click on the "Window" (I think) menu button at the top of your EasyGPS screen and select "tile". This will cause all your open EasyGPS files to be displayed.

5. Select all the waypoints in one file and "drag & drop" them in one of the other files. They will be copied there (not cut & pasted).

6. Repeat step 5 for each file, each time dragging your waypoints to the same file. Once you've done this for all the files, you'll have one file containing all your waypoints and a bunch of other smaller files.

7. Upload all your waypoints to your GPSr at once using your "master" file.

There, now wasn't that easy? icon_biggrin.gif

8. Don't go kicking yourself for all the time you've wasted up to this point; just be glad you finally know the easy way!

icon_wink.gif

Worldtraveler

There is an easier & faster way:

1. Download the first page of 25.

2. Download the second page of 25. It will save as a new file.

3. Keep repeating step 2 until you've downloaded all you want. You will have multiple files open at this time.

(I'm not at my home computer, so I'm going from memory on this next step.)

4. Click on the "Window" (I think) menu button at the top of your EasyGPS screen and select "tile". This will cause all your open EasyGPS files to be displayed.

5. Select all the waypoints in one file and "drag & drop" them in one of the other files. They will be copied there (not cut & pasted).

6. Repeat step 5 for each file, each time dragging your waypoints to the same file. Once you've done this for all the files, you'll have one file containing all your waypoints and a bunch of other smaller files.

7. Upload all your waypoints to your GPSr at once using your "master" file.

There, now wasn't that easy? icon_biggrin.gif

8. Don't go kicking yourself for all the time you've wasted up to this point; just be glad you finally know the easy way!

icon_wink.gif

Worldtraveler

Guys! What are you doing?!?!?

Go get Geobuddy!!! All you do is download the .loc files one at a time as you are doing now and when you are done open geobuddy, drag and drop the .loc files in. Click File->Merge and then save the new merged file.

If you use OTHER software like MSStreets and Trips or OziExplorer it will save in those formats too!

Rob

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

Go get http://www.geobuddy.com

Thanks Rob, for pointing this out. GeoBuddy is my beast that I specifically wrote to convert those many .loc files into one .wpt file for Garmin MapSource to import. Everyone kept sending me feature requests for other file formats and it's evolved into something larger. I'm working on a 2.0 version, but it's going slow because work keeps getting in the way icon_wink.gif

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

13914_200.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

Go get http://www.geobuddy.com

Thanks Rob, for pointing this out. GeoBuddy is my beast that I specifically wrote to convert those many .loc files into one .wpt file for Garmin MapSource to import. Everyone kept sending me feature requests for other file formats and it's evolved into something larger. I'm working on a 2.0 version, but it's going slow because work keeps getting in the way icon_wink.gif

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

13914_200.jpg

I've done this as well. Sadly, there don't seem to be a plethora of caches in Michigan. I got all withing 175 miles of me and it's only around 140 or so.

Anyway, I've actually opened the file and cut'n'pasted the XML that gets downloaded in the past.

For loading a LOT of waypoints into a MapPoint map, I've merged the files in Geobuddy and saved as the Streets and Trips format. Merging is definitely sweet.

Downloading an entire state's worth of cache points or being able to configure for yourself how many are displayed on a page would be even better.

--------

Trippy1976