Palm GPS Kit and Garmin GPS 38

Hi all,

New here so a couple of questions:

1> I have a Genuine Garmin GPS 38 (as used by noah on the ark) and wonder what its worth etc.

Also, it suffers under tree cover (welol it was made in 1997 and only has 8 ch!) hence:

2> I have seen palm ad ons for the Palm V/Vx ( I have a V) by magellan and others. Are they any good? How do they work in tree cover?

I have also seen eTrex mentioned over and over, at a cach yesterday, my garmin was out of signal but the cache log said "Etrex worked fine even under the trees"

I use the GPS for caching and sailing. The 38 is fine for the sailing but I would like better caching and also to add maping/routing hence the thought of the palm add on.

Cheers,

Marc

I would get the Garmin eTrex Legend, before getting add-ons for PDA's, they are kinda fragile. I use my Palm m130 at the start, and at the cache, but not during the hikes. Batteries are a pain with the GPS/PDA add-ons.

Also the Legend would be better than a Vista in an airplane, because of the cabin pressurization.

--------------------------------------------------

My Old posts as Geoffrey

My Current Post as GOT GPS?

My profile

My Home Page about what is GPS

I have a Palm Vx with the Navman add on for GPS. It has its own internal chargable cell which seems to hold its charge very nicely. The software for Geocaching is rather good (GeoNiche i've found is one of the best) and it has a Quad Helix antenna. Under trees the signal degrades slightly, occasionally loosing the 3d fix (altitude) but still gives you the 2d lat/long fix to within a couple of feet accuracy.

Having said that if you plan to survive anywhere without electricity to recharge such a unit for some time, you're in trouble when it runs out of charge as it only has the internal chargable cell but that makes a change from such addons using the PDA's internal battery to power the GPS module.