Very detailed topo maps

Ok I would also like to have some very detailed Topo maps. When I first started hiking outside with GPS I was using a Visor/GPS combo with maps downloaded from TopoUSA 4. I thought the maps were a little low on detail, but as I found out later, they are the most detailed I have seen on handheld units. After losing my GPS module I got a steal of a deal on a Magellan Meri-green with memory card and the mapsend Topo software. I was disapointed that the maps were not as detailed as TopoUSA on the Magellan and then just recently I got to play with a Garmin iQue. After looking at the topo with that I don't see why they bother with Topo at all. It's a true shame because the iQue would really have to horsepower to really play with it, I would love to see Garmin add 3D ploting to that...

Anyway, my point is that all of the above are disapointing to me. I would really love to create my own maps to download and there are programs for the Garmin that do that and some for Magellan in works. So once I have to the software to do this is there some place that has detail topo data for download. Does anyone here have any expirence createing thier own maps who would like to talk about it?

Dan

A = A

Both National Geo and Delorme offer very detailed topo maps there are two problems. One, the cost, it ranges from $100 to $200 "PER STATE!!" National Geo has the ability to down load to a pda, don't know about Delorme. That brings me to problem two. If you don't have a pda, you have to find a way to force feed your GPSr, see Stunod's reply above, otherwise you can't load them to a GPSr. When using my old Garmin 45 and paper maps, we found the best 4x4 paper maps to be published by Trails Illustrated. These are now available from National Geo on CD. But they cover very limited areas, mostly parks and a few areas visted by 4x4 and Mtn bikers. The same problems apply with these CD maps.

"It's a dull mind that spells a word one way"

Garmin has just started releasing 1:24,000 scale quads in MapSource. They are only of national parks and recreation areas for now. I imagine things will expand as time goes on. A huge problem though, is that the map sets will be one of 2 things: either they will be of a very limited geographic area, or they will be very expensive. The amount of data in a quad set is enormous! And, you won't get a very big quad map on the available memory of any current handheld Garmin model.

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"

quote:
. The amount of data in a quad set is enormous! And, you won't get a very big quad map on the available memory of any current handheld Garmin model.

I think your forgeting about the iQue... Unlimited memory expansion on that. Now Garmin just needs to make it a regular feature on most models.

A = A

quote:
Originally posted by Clffhngr:

Both National Geo and Delorme offer very detailed topo maps there are two problems. One, the cost, it ranges from $100 to $200 "PER STATE!!" National Geo has the ability to down load to a pda, don't know about Delorme."

Well I used Delorme TopoUSA 4 with my PDA and it was more detailed current GPS handhelds. I looked into getting National Geographics program for the palm but I never could find any info about how well it ran on the Palm. After my disapointment in the reliability of Delorme's program, I was warry of NG's product. From the box it appeared kinda like a haphazard add on to a very powerful PC program (I have heard nothing but good things about the desktop version) but the box for the Palm version not only did not answer my questions, it left me with new ones. So I never did get it.

A = A

quote:
Originally posted by Alphawolf:

Garmin has just started releasing 1:24,000 scale quads in MapSource. They are only of national parks and recreation areas for now.

I have seen these, and by luck one of the main areas I go hiking in is Rocky Mountain National Park. While this would not solve 100% of my problems it would be a start. Ok, Garmin now just make waterproof, outdoor version of the iQue and I am SOOOOOO there.

Dan

A = A

quote:
I think your forgeting about the iQue...

Well, I'm using the I-Que now, and it really isn't even in the geocaching game. It has a despicably short battery life with the GPS function turned on, and there's no way to give it back-up power in the field. Add to that the lack of water resistance, and it's clear it has no use off road/back country.

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"