Why doesn't Garmin implement auto-routing on the eMap?

The eMap is now about four years old and has had numerous firmware features added during that time. All indications are that the available firmware memory is essentially all used up. For example, many units got recent firmware updates to change some of the French translations but the eMap apparently had too little memory space for that so Garmin dropped French from the unit's list of supported languages. They didn't do that for any other model.

Auto-routing would certainly require far more code space and processing power than are available in the eMap.

Probably also because they want to sell the (pricier) V that I just bought.....<grin>

I had the same question......I would have liked the Legend/Vista to do it...but lets face it, aside from computing power and memory, the name of the game is $$$$.

They got ME to "move up" to the V from my Legend just because I want that autorouting and step by step directions....<grin>

(Mine is supposed to arrive Tuesday or Wed....I cant wait!!)

DZ

quote:
Originally posted by volks_ev71:

It would be the most ideal application really. The eMap is mostly a driving GPS, and is able to hold oodles of map memory, making it perfect for auto-routing.

Why haven't they done it?

-----------------------------------------------------------

N38 49.027 W120 01.064

http://www.garmin.com/products/gps5/

[This message was edited by volks_ev71 on August 15, 2003 at 07:44 PM.]