Mapping Software

I'm new to geocaching, but have used e-maps for a while. I have DeLorme Street Atlas and Topo USA. I recently purchased my state's version of TOPO!, from National Geographic, which is basically a state's worth of USGS 7.5 minute maps in an electronic format. It was well worth the cost (~$100). The USGS maps absolutely blow away the other maps. Now I wish my HP InkJet had waterproof ink.

Some software requires an internet connection which is not desirable at all times but you have access to areial photos which is neat but not necessary.

Also make sure the software is compatible with your GPS unit. Some software will upload waypoints but is lacking in the download and waypoint management department; DeLorme is terrible at managing Garmin waypoints.

DeLorme makes a nice Topo map but has its' linitations. I went with Garmin Mapsource because I have a Garmin GPS but I also got DeLorme Topo because of its' detail. For the most part I use the Garmin software for my geocaching; it even has geocache icons for current and found caches.

Keep an eye on eBay for stuff but BE CAREFULL and check a sellers feedback well.