Magellan GPS Companion for Palm good for Geocaching?

OCTrooper

Hi everyone. I happened to read about Geocaching on newspaper and became very interested in trying. However, I don't have a GPS yet. Now Palm is offering a promotion for Magellan GPS Companion for $89 with mail-in rebate. As I already have Palm m500, the price is attractive; however, is this setup good for Geocaching? What additional software, etc. do I need (or do you recommend) to get besides the hardware? Or, should I get a stand-alone GPS unit instead? Appreciate any feedback from experienced members.

I use a Palm V and the GPS Companion for Palm V for geocaching, but if I had to pay $89 to do it again, I would seriously consider getting a yellow eTrex or a basic Meridian instead. It's okay for caching, but the available software is still missing features that are standard on even the most basic of standalone handheld units, and a Palm is nowhere near as waterproof or shockproof.

pirate.cgi.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team Sand Dollar:

My thoughts are to aquire both the companion but also a cheap GPS for the actual caching.

Oh, I don't think I'd do that. If you're going to spend the price of a cheap GPS plus the price of the GPS Companion, I'd suggest you buy a better GPS and a cable to hook it to the Palm.

pirate.cgi.gif

I have a Palm m515 and the GPS Companion. I mostly use the Palm for cache pages using Spinner/Plucker, but I also use Cetus GPS which is a much better program for using the Palm as a GPS than the garbage that Magellan provided. My main GPS is a Garmin III+ which I use most of the time. The Palm Companion is only used in areas where the Garmin can't get a good lock (under heavy tree cover, etc) or when the batteries get low. The only bad part about using a Palm/GPS Companion combo is that it is not rugged at all and would be very easy to damage if you dropped it. I also bought a generic multivoltage car adapter with all the different tips. It works great for the car at 6 volt output to run the Palm/GPS companion and even recharges the Palm battery.

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo