Mapsource

quote:
Originally posted by icecap:

I recently bought a garmin 76s and I would like to get some better maps, roads and contours. The demo on the garmin site isn't very impressive. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?

If you're asking for products other than the MapSource line, there aren't any. The maps are in a proprietary format that only the manufacturer supplies. Same goes for Magellan.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

Assuming you're somewhere in the US or western Europe, then MetroGuide is definitely worth getting. It makes the device much more useful for everyday activities since you can enter an address and immediately see where it is and how to get there. For geocaching it makes it easier to find the appropriate roads to get you into the vicinity. I don't find the Topo maps as useful since they're much less detailed than regular 1:24000 hiking topos (unless you're in one of the limited areas covered by the new Garmin Topo24s).

You can develop your own maps to use with Garmin's MapSource, but it's a fairly involved process. One method is described at:

http://plrecgps.pp.org.pl/bin/view/GPS/EnglishStuff

I use the MapSource US Topo. The topo lines aren't meant to be as detailed as the 24,000 scale maps; they're based on 100,000 scale. But they do have a lot of details, such as roads, drainages, and geographical names that make the software quite useful. And the topos are detailed enough to plot onto a real 7.5 minute map just by looking at the contours.

Most of my work is in very rural areas, where the name of an abandoned mine or the location of a ridgetop is more relevent than street names, simply because there aren't any streets.

I hope some day that the 7.5 minute topographic maps will be available for handheld GPS use. But until then...

Best Wishes,

Bob

Most of the time I find MapSource to be adequate,however,for extra detail I use N.G. Topo to get some more detail.Sometimes I find that a Satallite picture is necessary.For "Geocaching" I find MapSource fills my needs.When I am out looking for petroglyphs I usually have a N.G. hardcopy with me.With N.G. at home I expand to get the cords.then enter in 76s.

Two Feathers

Garmin has a 24K topo for parks in the western state including NM.. Check out their web site.

U.S. TOPO 24K National Parks, West includes:

Arizona

Grand Canyon NP

Petrified Forest NP

Saguaro NP

California

Channel Islands NP

Death Valley NP

Joshua Tree NP

Lassen Volcanic NP

Mojave NP

Redwood NP