I just downloaded 10MB worth of Mapsource to my GPS V

ChiefPig

quote:
Originally posted by ChiefPig:

Now I remember why they invented USB! icon_eek.gif

I feel your pain. I migrate back and forth between two states almost on a monthly basis -- so I'm constantly swapping out 19 meg of maps so I have most of the State I'm operating in on the unit.

30 to 35 minutes seems to be about the average. I bought one of those Adapters which allow me to plug my GPSV into AC Power so the batteries don't drain and then go watch some TV.

Hopefully the GPSVI (one can hope) will have both USB and and SD Card slot. (drool).

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

Thing is, you knew this before you bought it. You knew it came with a serial cord, so quit griping about it.

And hopefully you saw the 19 MB's listed before you bought it. Clearly, if you had planned on driving more and using maps a lot, you'd have considered that issue and purchased the SPIII or just live with loading maps in the V.

I'm happy with the V. Does all I need.

quote:
Originally posted by Tail of Two Cachers:

Thing is, you knew this before you bought it. You knew it came with a serial cord, so quit griping about it.

And hopefully you saw the 19 MB's listed before you bought it. Clearly, if you had planned on driving more and using maps a lot, you'd have considered that issue and purchased the SPIII or just live with loading maps in the V.

I'm happy with the V. Does all I need.

Who's griping?????

gripe ( P ) Pronunciation Key (grp)

v. griped, grip·ing, gripes

v. intr.

Informal. To complain naggingly or petulantly; grumble

quote:
Originally posted by elmo-fried:

You know, as nice as USB would be, even bumping the serial port up to 115K would be a great start (vs 9.6K). Serial ports are easily capable of doing that.

For map uploads it usually does go up to 115kbps, but that pretty much swamps the poor little processor and it's unable to do anything else. Even at 115K, it takes almost 40 minutes to upload 19MB. I shudder to think what it would be like if you had to use 9600bps to upload maps.. it would take forever.

-- Pneumatic.

The posts here caused me a certain ammount of introspection and at least one good belly laugh. I was very surprised by how fast 7MB loaded into my Legend; equally surprised by how slow 22MB loaded into my 76S. The problem with loading all of two states especially if it must be swapped often does seem like a big annoyance until...

How much of these two states do you actually visit in a swap period? Except for planned trips where the GPS would be just one of a myriad of details, my day tripping is largely restricted to a couple of fairly narrow corridors-probably less than 5MB of map data.

I'm really not trying to be a smart***. I've got all of my states roads (Metrosource), POI (Roads and Rec), and 95% of the Topo maps in my 76S/Similarly with the corridors in the Legend.--One can never have enough maps; but consider this little true story:

A couple of days ago I set out to do a little caching. Arriving at the open space area I was pleased to see a young female jogger who was also going to be using the area. As I donned my walking gear-vest, gps, batteries, walking stick, she rolled up her top, and rolled down the waistband of her shorts. She set off first at a faily good clip and headed south. I went nearly due east and was soon engaged in a difficult scramble up a steep hill. Off to my right and at a lower elevation I noticed the jogger making her way up the trail.

Checking my GPSr I noticed I had about 0.15 miles to the cache. I misjudged the distance and mentally placed the cache near the summit.

After many difficule steps I was shot; I was still 0.10 miles from the cache, out of breathe and a bit concerned about getting down the hill (I'm affraid of heights). I turned back, sliding and struggling to keep from rolling down the hill I used my behind as an anchor several times. Down below I noticed the jogger again ON MY RIGHT.

Well that's enough embarrasment, here's the moral: All the maps in the world do no good if you don't turn them on/look at them. Seems the lady jogger followed a path around the hill. Same one I would have known about if I had switched from Metrosource to Topo Map sets. From the back side of the hill the cache was about level with the path, which wound up the hill gradually along a must less steep approach.