Anybody heard of pyxis?

I have had this Sony Pyxis sitting in my garage for years now, and I finally busted it out this last week, and discovered geocaching icon_razz.gif

All I know about it is that it was manufactured in 1991 or 92, and it appears to be a state of the art dinosaur. Can anyone tell me more about it?

Also, it's been working well in the vehicle, but eats batteries for lunch, and is a lot of equipment to drag around. can you suggest a good companion? I've been thinking about a pair of Ryno 110 or 120's (or is it 210 or 220'S). Or a good handheld and a pair of regular handheld two ways.

I am definately hooked, but new to the sport and technology. I would appriciate any advice.

Thanks, Skadog

I don't know anythin about your Pyxis, but I can be pretty safe in saying that technology has passed it by and you are better off purchasing a new unit. Depending on how much money you want to spend I would suggest getting a unit with enough memory to be able to download maps. This has helped me immensely in finding my way to the jump off points when looking for a cache. If I had unlimited funds I would buy a Garmin GPS V because it will give you routing information if you buy and download the streets software. I use a Magellan SporTrak Pro and have been very pleased with it, but it does not this feature. My caching partner has a V and we both get to the same point though my SporTrak takes a little longer to decide where it wants to be. I have heard people who love the Rhino's, but I would think a dedicated GPS would be better for Geocaching.

I still have my old Sony. If I had a boat, I might use it on it. The Rino 120 is the Rino to get because it can load maps. It is a great unit and if you are considering getting a radio, it is both. I love both my Rino's and wouldn't let them go for anything except another Rino with more memory and color screen.

Able2ru?

The ability to use those C-MAP cartridges can not be underestimated, especially if one can use the current incarnation of same.

For highly detailed marine charts, C-MAP is considered the standard of that industry.

{--Firefishe--}

...Caching In on the Journey

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

---------------------------

The year is 2003.

The name is S.A. Brown.

BrowNAV (Brown Navigation)

Oh, I see. Did not look closely enough before. The PYXIS is mounted on a chart plotter that happens to take C-MAP cartridges.

Intially, I thought that the PYXIS was something integrated. I can see now that it's screwed down to it.

{--Firefishe--}

...Caching In on the Journey

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

The year is 2003.

The name is S.A. Brown.

BrowNAV (Brown Navigation)