WHAT ARE THE ADVANTEGES OF A GARMEN E-TREX?

maxd1

Perhaps you should ask the source you heard this from and see why they would say that. This is really a religious argument that you're starting here. I used to own a yellow etrex, but have since upgraded to a Magellan Map 330, which I like much better, but then again, it's somewhat of an apples to oranges comparison.

Some of the things I really liked about the eTrex I had:

Cheap (inexpensive that is)

Very small

Very light

lots of accessories and software available

It also seems to update faster than my Magellan when I on the trail, which is very important.

Things I didn't like

Didn't have maps (more expensive eTrex models do)

The interface really stinks. Using those button to try to enter information was a huge pain. Again, I think more expensive eTrex models don't have this problem.

Just like the Mac vs PC argument, you're going to find people the love both (eTrex vs. Magellan Meridian/300 series). Both are excellent units and you'd be happy with either. I'd say forget trying the find the "best" one (because nobody will agree on that). Just get one and get out and start hunting.

dyslexics of the world, untie.

quote:
Originally posted by Cache_Cows:

This is really a religious argument that you're starting here. Both are excellent units and you'd be happy with either. I'd say forget trying the find the "best" one (because nobody will agree on that). Just get one and get out and start hunting.

dyslexics of the world, untie.

I ALREADY AM A GEOCACHER AND HAVE A MAGELLAN BUT I HEARD THAT A E-TREX WOULD BE A BETTER BET.

I DIDN'T MEAN TO STAR T A RELIGIOUS ARGUMENT, I JUST THOUGHT I WOULD ASK AND SEE WHAT YOU GUYS THINK. THANKS!

MAXD1 icon_cool.gif

If it's a salesman telling you this, I'd shop somewhere else. There are pro's and cons to all of the units out there, including the unit. Kind of like cars. You have a wide selection. While a Kia may be better for one situation or use, a big old Expedition might be better in another. If there were one that was absolutely unbeatably better in every way, there probably wouldn't any other units as everyone would buy the perfect one.

Originally posted by Searching_ut:

If it's a salesman telling you this, I'd shop somewhere else.

NO IT'S NOT A SALESMAN TELLING ME THIS. IT'S MY BEST FRIEND. HE HAS 4 DIFFERENT KINDS OF GPS'S (INCLUDING MAGELLAN AND GARMEN E-TREX) AND HE THINKS THAT THE GARMEN IS A BETTER BET.

SO ONCE AGAIN I'M ASKING YOU GUYS WHAT YOU THINK. THANKS! MAXD1 icon_cool.gif

quote:

IT'S MY BEST FRIEND. HE HAS 4 DIFFERENT KINDS OF GPS'S (INCLUDING MAGELLAN AND GARMEN E-TREX) AND HE THINKS THAT THE GARMEN IS A BETTER BET.

Why don't you try out the ones that your friend owns and compare them for yourself, if you have access to them. Atleast you could pick the right one that works for you with out spending the money up front.

"And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?"

I use to own a Magellan but after 2 weeks it stopped working. Then I bought a Garmin GPS worked great and user friendly. Since then I have owned a Garmin GPS II, which I gave to my son when I up graded to a Gramin eTrex. Like it so much I then upgraded to a Gramin Summit and now I own a Garmin Vista. I have a friend who had a Lawerence and had nothing but problems like the think locking up. He also bought a Garmin eTrex and loves it.

My first garmin GPS was only 8 Sat. The Magellan was 12 sat. all the other Garmin are 12 Sat. All the Garmins are being used almost daily.

Park Park Oh where can I park. Look there's a spot....1 hour later OH GOD MY CAR IS GONE