how to transfer waypoints between LOC and Magellan

headmj

I have down loaded easygps and it works fine. However, to get my waypoint sinto Mapsend Topo I have to first load the points into the GPS and then into Mapsend Topo from the GPS. Is there a piece of software that will convert this data directly on the computer?

Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by headmj:

I have down loaded easygps and it works fine. However, to get my waypoint sinto Mapsend Topo I have to first load the points into the GPS and then into Mapsend Topo from the GPS. Is there a piece of software that will convert this data directly on the computer?

Thanks

I've written software for POSIX systems (UNIX, Linux, etc.) that can read and write waypoints in both formats. Actually, it'll read and write directly to the GPS via serial comm, and many other formats, too. I haven't made an Official Release of it, but could be encouraged to do so if there's interest.

It might work under operating systems that start with "M" via the various POSIX kits, but I haven't been motivated to try building it since I don't use those systems when I can avoid it...

Actually I am suprised anything works under operating systems beginning with an M! I acn get the waypoints into and out of my Merigreen but it would be nice to be able to move the points directly to masend first for viewing and selection.

Ok, since I wrote my original reply, I've released gpsbabel ( http://gpsbabel.sourceforge.net ) and it now has a version that works under windows as well. If you want to read from a geocaching loc file and spin that as a Mapsend file, the command is:

gpsbabel -i geo -f geocaching.loc -o mapsend -F blah.wpt

If you want to spin it to your receiver at the same time, you can do both with one command just by adding "-o magellan -f com1" (or whatever your OS calls its serial port) If you want to do one or the other, replace the commands instead of concatenating them. With a little patience you can even teach your web browser to invoke this for you if you're so inclined.

There are over 20 file formats supported...