GPSr Accessory Functions - Useful?

RB_Nielsen

Does anyone ever use any of the accessory functions that comes with their GPSr. For example, my GPSr has a calendar function that I never use. It has a fishing prediction (good day or bad day to catch fish) function that I use occasionally, but find it hit/miss at best. It also has a game or two that I have not even looked at. What about your GPSr - and are there functions that INSTEAD you wish would replace them.

sunrise, sunset and moon phase is good.

However, I find that

menu -> menu -> celestail -> horoscope -> libra

to be worthless

I am kidding... but I compare my old Garmin 12 to the eTrex to the 76S and what I see is a lot more "non-GPSware" getting stuffed into these units to raise the price.

Memory space for maps = good, no question about that.. but in general I wish the elfs at Garmin were spending more of their time working on the front-end (antenna, receiver, GPS math) bits and less on the "fluff"

IMHO

>Personally Responsible for the Recovery of .00217% of the Benchmark Database!<--watch this number!

But I do love the Moon & Sun data! I like knowing when I need to start hiking to get to a spot to fish within 30 min. of sunrise, or knowing when sunset will be so I can be there and have my photography gear set up for some sunset shots in Canyonlands! The calendar and games are a total waste for me. I haven't been into them since my V was 2 hours old. And some of the custom fields in the trip computer are a total waste for me also. I mean come on...who really uses VMG?(and a lot of others in there) And one final note...Isn't it about time to offer a USB cord? I mean geeeez!

588236_600.jpg

I was vacationing on the upper Maine coast during the first half of September and the built-in tide calculations were extremely useful and quite accurate (don't want to get stuck in those sea caves at high tide!). Also, knowing the sunrise/sunset times for various days was very helpful for planning photo sessions.

Cheers ...

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

I've used the VMG value.

I don't think it's up to one user to determine which values are useful or not at the trip computer page. I'm still longing for some more. Like timer of most recent pause (starts from zero each time your speed goes down to 0 km/h).

The acessories is something else.

Personally, I look at sun/moon quite often, do use the calendar (for geocaching related notes, for example), use the hunt and fish as a random number generator, have used the area calculation several times, do use the calculator for useful things occasionally (if I don't have any more ergonomic type available) but have only studied what the jump master could be used for.

My kids play with games is phones, so they may be interested in playing, if there was any game built-in. But a Gameboy or so would work better!

Anders

posted September 22, 2002 06:21 AM  

Rich in NEPA wrote:

Celestial functions ...

I was vacationing on the upper Maine coast during the first half of September and the built-in tide calculations were extremely useful and quite accurate (don't want to get stuck in those sea caves at high tide!). Also, knowing the sunrise/sunset times for various days was very helpful for planning photo sessions.

_____

How DOES one read the high and low tides on an Etrex Legend? It appears that they are related to the best fishing times in the Hunt & Fish Accessory (or are they elsewhere?) but I'm not sure which of the times is which.