Mac: USB - Serial Help Please!

I have been trying for several days to download MapSource data to my new Garmin V GPS using my Mac running Virtual PC. I am encountering all the problems others have documented on this forum. I've tried to follow the advise I have read here but still can not get things to work right. I would greatly appreciate anyone who has successfully accomplished this to give me some suggestions of things to try.

Here are the components of my system:

Macintosh Ti PowerBook 667

OS-X v10.1.5

Virtual PC 5.0.4 with Windows XP preinstalled

Garmin GPS V (Firmware updated to 2.05)

Garmin MapSource v4.09

IOGear USB/Serial adapter Model GUC232A

Basically here is where I stand:

Virtual PC is running good on my PowerBook running Mac OS-X. Having very little experience with MS Windows, I choose the XP version of VPC because it seemed like something I could more easily comprehend.

Over the weekend, I got the Garmin MapSource software installed, which seems to be operating correctly.

I am having difficulty getting the IOGear GUC232A to work. The fact that this adapter does not have any Mac OS-X drivers should not make any difference because everyone says not to use the Mac drivers anyway. One problem is that I can't find any drivers for Windows XP. The IOGear web site lists a downloadable file which indicates that a XP driver is included. When the file is opened however, there are drivers for every other version of Windows except XP.

I find Windows drivers to be a little confusing so I may be overlooking what I need. I also do not totally understand how to install them in Windows XP which came with hardly any documentation. Nether do I have a teenage computer guru living in the neighborhood.

This brings up another question. The Virtual PC application apparently configures the Com ports and makes them visible to Windows XP. Since VPC is a Mac application, it seems to be looking for Mac drivers to know what kind of USB/serial adapter is in use. How is it going to do this if the drivers are installed directly into Windows? There is something here that I don't understand.

The posts by J. Blackburn have given me resolve to carry on. He is using the same G4 PowerBook that I am, the same version of Virtual PC, the same GPS and the same adapter. The only possible difference is in which version of Windows he is using. He may be using something other than XP and was able to find drivers which I haven't been able to find. (I still don't understand how VPC configures the Com ports without a Mac driver being installed - but I guess it does.)

Thanks in advance for any forthcoming help.

----------------------

Chuck Raines

chuck459@earthlink.net

Can you change to an older version of Windows (say 2K) or are you committed by merit of selection? I really like 2K better, perhaps because I can find stuff in it.

Under XP, your USB port should configure when something live is plugged into it. You might try the Microsoft pages and see if there are additional drivers to download, but I don't think there are. icon_confused.gif

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

Can you change to an older version of Windows (say 2K) or are you committed by merit of selection? I really like 2K better, perhaps because I can find stuff in it.

Under XP, your USB port should configure when something live is plugged into it. You might try the Microsoft pages and see if there are additional drivers to download, but I don't think there are. icon_confused.gif

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

Go to www.iogear.com

Click on Support

Click on Tech Info Library

Select GUC232A in the first box

Click search

Select the article "Driver installation for Windows XP Users"

That should get you started -- the article suggests that you should use the Windows 2000 driver.

I got help from the same site in figuring out that I should use the Windows 98 driver for ME.

The driver installed properly but I still haven't got my setup working -- I get a Windows error when MapSource checks the gps (which I've described elsewhere!).

The secret to getting all the components - Mac, VPC, Windows XP, Serial Adapter and GPS - to all work at the same time is to sacrifice a chicken.

Thanks for all the suggestions one of which proved to be the key.

It was mentioned that a difference in XP and other versions of Windows is that you normally don't install drivers directly. XP automatically detects new hardware, i.e. the IOGear adapter - and walks you through the installation process.

I had been trying to configure the Com1 port in Virtual PC so that it would communicate that to XP. This was the wrong approach. Instead, I activated the USB option in VPC and noticed that it had detected a devise from ATEN International, Ltd. This turned out to be the IOGear adapter.

I then started Windows XP and it displayed a dialog stating that "New hardward had been detected." Clicking on that opened a New Hardware Wizard that walked me through installing the drivers from the IOGear CD. I have no idea what drivers were installed but XP seemed happy with them - other than the fact they were not approved by Microsoft.

I then started the MapSource software but it still would not detect the GPS. I finally discovered that by selecting 115,200 baud before clicking Auto Detect, the GPS would be recognized - on Com3 which VPC isn't even supposed to support.

Now I was making progress!

But as soon as I tried to download map data, the MapSource would loose the GPS. I then discovered that the GPS must be in "active" mode - not "indoor" mode in order to receive data. After changing this, MapSource recognized the GPS and the process went smoothly.

After untold hours beating my head against my desk, tonight I am a happy person. Anyone trying to solve this problem, feel free to email me directly.

----------------------

Chuck Raines

chuck459@earthlink.net

That's odd that your GPSV has to be in "active" mode. I always transfer my MapSource data in indoor mode both with my GPSV and GPSMAP 76, and I've never had a problem.

Sometimes the GPS will beep when part of the transfer has happened (like tracks - then maps), but everything transfers correctly.

I'm not using a Mac. I'm using Win2K (which I also prefer), so maybe that's the difference.

Also, the way most PCs see the COM ports, 1 and 3 are "tied together" as are 2 and 4. That's probably why it says 3 (similar to 1).

The iogear adapter was a godsend. I wasted so much time trying to get the keyspan adapter to work.

<>

I haven't had this problem but I do find I have to do things in a certain order to get everything to work properly.

I usually start VPC5 first (without the iogear adapter being plugged in).

Once it's up and running for at leat 2 minutes (connectgix reports it takes as long as 2 minutes for VPC5 and Windows 2000/98 to be reponsive to the adapter) I plug in the adapter.

Next I check the PC List to make sure the USB adapter is selected.

Finally I turn on the GPS.

This works 99 percent of the time. If for some reason the unit isn't recognized I unplug the adapter and plug it back in quickly,

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

I'm running from a PC, but to me it seems that the GPS works better with GPS off (indoor), than with GPS on. Which makes sense, since that means that the CPU is less busy.

Mine is a Vista, but I can't understand why a GPS V should act differently. Anyone else with the same experience?

Anders

I also finally got MapSource working with an Iogear adapter with the windows driver installed on Virtual PC. I've been able to upload map sets to the 8MB capacity of my Legend and also update the firmware.

Some observations:

a. The setup works with the adapter plugged in to the main USB port on my iMac but not when plugged into the extra port on the keyboard. The port may be the problem or I may eliminate a conflict when I unplug my USB hub in order to plug in the adapter.

b. This works with VPC 5 but not VPC 4. I've just upgraded and had no luck until I did.

c. It is sometimes necessary to unplug/replug the gpsr to get the Garmin software to recognize it.

d. I've had success uploading maps at 57,600 but not 115,200. Others have reported success at the higher speed.

e. I've had success uploading firmware but only with the high-speed setting unchecked.

The gpsr is set to "Use with gps off".

For anyone planning to try this, be persistent!

But I'm not going to get rid of my older Keyspan adapter. The Keyspan adapter (and its Mac drivers) work really well with GPSy on the iMac -- I get freeze ups with the Iogear.

[This message was edited by bstevent on July 31, 2002 at 10:54 PM.]

On several occasions, I've also had problems loading maps to my Vista.

I've been using a Sony Vaio, with an old Xircom USB -> RS232 converter.

But in these instances, I just increased the power voltage (external power to the Vista) from the nominal 3.00 VDC to about 3.25 VDC. Such an increase will not burn your GPS to coal, but does give the port a little more voltage swing to work with.

The RS 232 port of the Vista (and many other simple battery operated units) doesn't adhere to the physical specification for RS 232. It runs on too low a voltage, relying on that the other end will pump it up, so to speak, in order to facilitate communication anyway.

Gently cleaning the contacts (they may get dirty when looking for caches in wet areas), preferably with a small piece of a pencil eraser, could also be a good idea.

In case of wrong drivers for the hardware, this is of no help whatsoever, of course. But if it did work before, and don't any longer, it could be worth trying.

Anders

The radio shack converter sounds useful. I may try it to see if I can boost the speed of my transfers.

At a minimum, you should use fresh alkaline batteries (1.5 v each) and not rechargeables (1.2 v for the NiMH batteries I've got). (The GPSy site says the same thing.

I'm having some similar problems, and have spent a lot of time troubleshooting based on forum discussions, but still can't get things to work properly. Here's where I am...

I have OS X, a Vista, the Keyspan high speed adapter, all drivers installed (on mac and pc). I have COM1 set-up in VPC and it's recognizing the keyspan adapter. I can get EasyGPS to recognize the Vista in COM1, and can transfer stuff that way. BUT, I can't get either the Vista software updater.exe nor MapSource to recognize it.

At times, the updater kind of begins (the screen on the vista changes), but it never gets beyond 0%. It autodetects the unit on COM1, so it SHOULD be working. I've checked and unchecked the highspeed setting. Humph. It only seems to work at all if I have it hooked to the USB port on the back, not the keyboard (thanks for the hint!).

For Mapsource, I can't get it to recognize the unit on any baud rate nor any COM port. Any port over 2 gives me an error, perhaps because VPC only lets you set up 2 ports.

Please help!

PS - I can use the updater on an actual windows machine, not that it probably makes a difference.

I'll try to help you from my own experience. First of all you should know the keyspan adapter is troublesome as far as VPC5 and MacOsx. It's possible to get it to work with EasyGPS and even update your firmware but I've NEVER been successful using the keyspan to upload maps from Mapsource. You can save yourself a lot of grief by getting the iogear adapter.

Having said that, here are a few things you can do to get the keyspan adapter to work as well as can be expected.

1. You shouldn't use the PC drivers. Only the Mac driver. This is according to connectix's FAQ.

2. VPC5 and MACOSX tend to fight over control of the USB ports so you have to trick OSX into ignoring the adapter. This is done through the Networks conrol panel. Plug in your keyspan adapter, open the control panel. You'll seen the Adapter listed as a port. Click on the box which instructs OSX to 'ignore' the adapter.

Now launch VPC5. Open the LIST for the virtual pc image you are using and select the adapter under the COM! or COM2 preferences. Make sure you click 'non modem device'

When I had my keyspan this set up would allow me to upload/download waypoints, routes to/from my GPS unit and Mapsource. Unfortuantely trying to download more than 3 or 4 meg of maps will only result in a loss of connection.

Hope this helps. If I left something out, I'm sure someone else will point it out.

Jolly R. Blackburn

I am going to try those things... there are a few you mentioned that I have not done. It's odd, because I thought I had read several posts about people not having a problem w/ the Keyspan adapter (though I have the new highspeed version, which may be different than what they had). Perhaps they were all still running OS9, which I'm trying to get completely away from. I invested $60 in the adapter, so hopefully I can get it to work. We shall see!

You commented you ordered the iogear adapter. You should note that unlike the Keyspan adapter you should NOT install the Mac driver. Install the PC driver thru VPC5. (You can download the most recent version from iogear's website)

Under this set up you don't have to worry about telling OSX to ignore the port. I've had really good luck with this set up. If you run into problems feel free to drop me an email. I'd be glad to walk you through it.

Jolly R. Blackburn

I can't get it to work. I have the keyspan adapter, which I spent like $60 on and it was my understanding it would work with a mac, but perhaps I misread some posts on this board about it. I uninstalled the PC driver, unchecked the Keyspan adapter as a "drive" within the OS X network preferences pane, to no avail.

The one improvement is that mapsource now recognizes the adapter and it BEGINS to transfer, but almost immediately after gives me a communications error. This is the same thing that happens with the E-Trex updater.exe file. It's very frustrating because I know both things recognize that I have the GPS hooked up. They also DO connect to each other and begin the transfer, but it always fails just after it begins (no matter what baud rate I have it set on nor if I check or uncheck the high speed transfer option).

I'm about at the end of my rope. I suppose I can use my work PC to do some of this, but what a pain that will be. Any other advice would be great.

Thanks!

<>

Been there. The keyspan adapter had me crawling the walls. Sometimes it worked (after lots of fiddling) but more often than not it simply cut out in the middle of a transfer as you described.

Which is why I recommend the igogear adapter. I don't think it's keyspan's fault -- for some reason it just doesn't get along with OSX when it comes to GPS units.

Jolly R. Blackburn

I sent too many hours last night trying to get my iMac (OS 9.2) to interface with my eMap (v2.04). I was successful in downloading my waypoints from the GPS so now that's safe but like atlxplorer, every time I start uploading the GPS it freezes. (!@#$%^).

I did find that my iMac can only request the Kepspan to operate one time before it locks up. I'm assuming one or the other isn't sharing information when it's done. If I unplug the USB cord from the Mac for a minute, the Mac says COM 3 is available again.

I did read about that some Garmins need to be active (not set on "Indoors") so I'll give that a few tries tonight.

I'm sure this should be easier. Otherwise there would be more fatalities. What clue are we missing? (And yes, I'm sacrificing a chicken tonight too... just in case that works). help me

Green Achers.

Something I forgot to mention...

If you're using VPC5 you should be aware that it can take VPC up to two minutes before it fully recognizes the USB Adapter and begins working smoothly.

THis is stated on one of the setting panels in VPC5 -- I can't remember where though.

At any rate, here's what's works for me.

1. First off I've NEVER had any luck getting the keyspan adapter to work across the board (i.e. uploading firmware and maps without losing a connection.) The Iogear is the only adapter I've had zero problems with that works consistently.

2. I hook up the adapter JUST before launching VPC5. I then immediately check the PC Settings to ensure the Adapter is checked under the USB setting.

3. I think hook up my GPS and power on.

4. As a habit I wait two the three minutes. During this time I might click on 'check connection' on whatever software I'm using but I don't attemmpt any uploads/downloads until a few minutes have passed

5. Then I upload/download. Occasionally I might get a "No GPS Detected" warning. Usually unplugging the adapter and plugging it back in again solves the problem.

6. When uploading firmware (at least on the Garmin) I ALWAYS uncheck the Fast Transfer check box -- otherwise the upload usually fails.

That's really everything to my approach.

For the record I'm using OSX 10.2 with VPC 5.04 on a Tibook 550. I've also had luck with this approach on my iMac using OS 9.2.

One note about OSX 10.2 (Jaguar) -- VPC5 runs a bit sluggish under the new system. It still runs but I've noticed a dramatic speed drop in VPC5 from 10.1. Connectix will probably have a new update out soon to fix things.

Hope something in my approach above helps somebody. I feel your pain. I struggle for weeks to get my GPS and Mac to communicate smoothly.

Jolly R. Blackburn

I agree with everything Jolly B Good says about connecting a gpsr to a Mac using Virtual PC. His comments months ago helped get me on track. I've given up on using the Keyspan for that purpose. The Iogear works.

Except ...

I also use GPSy with my Garmin. For THAT connection, using Mac software and Mac drivers, the Iogear adapter causes problems and the Keyspan works smoothly.

An explanation? "Magic" is the best I can do.

Thank you everyone! I have the Keyspan PDA adapter that works great in OS 9.2.2 on my FireWire iBook running MacGPS Pro. VPC5 running Windows2000/SP2 or Win98/FE on the other hand has never worked with the Keyspan. (It has worked with my GPSIII+ but not my Legend)

I was going to purchase the Keyspan USB/Serial adapter and then I read this thread.

The Iogear serial adapter showed up the other day and I loaded 7.98MB of maps to my Legend on the first try!! I didn't install the mac driver as pointed out on this thread. After I plugged in the adapter I clicked cancel on the dialog that pops up about getting a driver. I then lauched VPC5, enabled USB, selected the Iogear adapter, launched Win2000.

The one variation I had to make for Win2000 was not letting windows autofind the driver off the CD that came with the adapter. It kept wanting to install the Win98 driver and then the hardware manager would tell me the device was not a happy camper.

Instead, I went to the Iogear site, downloaded the driver package to the desktop to make sure I had the most recent version. I then told the windows2000 dialog that I had a better driver in mind and pointed it to the Win2000 folder. This forced it to load the 2000 driver instead of the 98 driver and then the device mangler told me the device was happy and it showed up under the serial ports instead of down in the USB section with the dreaded yellow (!).

So now I will continue to use the Keyspan PDA adatper in Mac OS9 for MacGPS Pro (no X version yet) and use the Iogear serial adpater with VPC/windows. icon_biggrin.gif

Brian and Terry

San Diego, CA

Thank you everyone! I have the Keyspan PDA adapter that works great in OS 9.2.2 on my FireWire iBook running MacGPS Pro. VPC5 running Windows2000/SP2 or Win98/FE on the other hand has never worked with the Keyspan. (It has worked with my GPSIII+ but not my Legend)

I was going to purchase the Keyspan USB/Serial adapter and then I read this thread.

The Iogear serial adapter showed up the other day and I loaded 7.98MB of maps to my Legend on the first try!! I didn't install the mac driver as pointed out on this thread. After I plugged in the adapter I clicked cancel on the dialog that pops up about getting a driver. I then lauched VPC5, enabled USB, selected the Iogear adapter, launched Win2000.

The one variation I had to make for Win2000 was not letting windows autofind the driver off the CD that came with the adapter. It kept wanting to install the Win98 driver and then the hardware manager would tell me the device was not a happy camper.

Instead, I went to the Iogear site, downloaded the driver package to the desktop to make sure I had the most recent version. I then told the windows2000 dialog that I had a better driver in mind and pointed it to the Win2000 folder. This forced it to load the 2000 driver instead of the 98 driver and then the device mangler told me the device was happy and it showed up under the serial ports instead of down in the USB section with the dreaded yellow (!).

So now I will continue to use the Keyspan PDA adatper in Mac OS9 for MacGPS Pro (no X version yet) and use the Iogear serial adpater with VPC/windows. icon_biggrin.gif

Brian and Terry

San Diego, CA