Software Help

bcaloia

Hello all... I have been geocaching for about a year now, and have found/logged about 50 caches (would be alot more, but work is a *****). Now... I have found myself wishing for some things that would make life better and easier for all of us... some of these may already be available, and if so, please let me know.

I would like to see a program (preferably free) that displays terraserver topo and aerial photo info on the ppc (ipaq). GPX overlays would be great.

Mapopolis with the new gpx to maplet program is awesome, but the coordinates it displays are of a different datum, and I have been unable to easily convert them for input into my garmin legend when necessary. If anyone knows of an easy solution, please let me know.

I have heard that a ppc version of ExpertGPS is in the works, and it would solve my problems... but the e-mail I got from them stated "not in 2003". Bummer.

With that said, this is an awesome site, an awesome activity, and an awesome community. It has given me countless hours of enjoyment and discovery, and for that I thank you!

DrBC

Hi DrBC:

I have been geocaching for a couple years, 200+ caches, and I'm real happy with the old Delorme TopoQuads. All USGS 7.5 min Topos ("Quads"), at the lowest 3 levels. (Don't confuse with Topo USA, which is not USGS). TopoQuads come by State (mostly), and if you stick to the right datum (it handles several), they are VERY accurate; input coords to a map feature (like a peak or road intersection) is right on. More so than the GPSr, in my opinion. Reasonably easy to use. Not sure it's still available.... Not free. Uh oh.. Is the "BC" for "British Columbia"... Don't think they do Canada.

Klemmer

Klemmer