Lowrance iFinder...Good for a Newbie?

I just found my first cache today and am crazy about it already! I borrowed my brothers Lowrance iFinder. I am still trying to figure it all out. After today, I am convinced that I want to purchase a GPS for my new found hobby. I have read the boards and everyone seems to talk about Garmin and Magellan. Is the iFinder any good? It worked for me today, but I really don't know much about GPSing yet! Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks icon_smile.gif

All GPS receivers are very similar in function and reliability.

Most differences are in software and user interface.

Your initial familiarity with a curtain GPSr is important in your decision process. Then you need to decide what you want your GPSr to do.

Here is a great site with GPSr info. Good luck deciding.

39197_3100.jpg

Pepper playing nice!

Mokita!

I started out with a lowrance and really liked alot of its features. I presently own a Garmin GPS V. The lowrance isn't waterproof and my lowrance used a 10yr lithium battery for backup of user data...pissed me off when that battery went bad after one year. The Garmin nonvolital memory doens't need a battery.

Sooo....I liked my lowrance. Hated it when it broke and they said my 10yr lithium battery it was out of warranty after 1 year. That alone is enough reason for me to find another brand.

Garmin and Magellin are the most popular...there's safety in numbers.

quote:
Originally posted by KB9NVH:

Garmin and Magellin are the most popular...there's safety in numbers.

I like that MOB rule!rofl.gif

I had a Lawrance Global Map 100 for my fist GPSr. It's the only experience I've had with Lawrance. Not a good experience. It was very difficult to keep a satellite lock with it. I never used the mapping software so I can't comment on that. It's true that it is not water tight. There was no gasket on the battery door.

I've handled an iFinder before. It felt plasticy. Nice size though.

39197_3100.jpg

Pepper playing nice!

Mokita!

Well, I really did like my airmap100. For the time is was the firest mapping gps and it was waterproof (but not the battery compartment).

I liked the ability to define 3 PAGES that you could change to suit you and then flip between them (Garmin are you listening).

The globalmap100 was the same unit basically as mine. I never had trouble locking and keeping lock on sats with mine.

The Ifinder has SD memory cards..thats a big plus. For it not being waterproof, and it haveing that lithium battery I might have considered it (If the autorouting wasn't a must have for me that is).

You have to make your best guess at what features you need/want. The meridian platinum was my second choice..then the 76S then the ifinder.

My GPS V is great though and for $325 with its features it was really MY best buy.