How do I use my new equipment

clanE

I just got the GPS attachment for my Palm III. I set it up as a compass and it was absolutely no help to me in finding sites this morning as the coordinates were all wrong. The coordinates would have had me in someones apartment. Is there room for variation in coordinates or is there a way to calibrate or what. I am so confused. Any help would be appreciated.

The most likely problem is that you may have the unit set to the wrong location format. Lat/long. coordinates can be specified in three ways: degrees (DD.ddddd), degrees/minutes (DD MM.mmm'), or degrees/minutes/seconds (DD MM' SS.s"). The geocache site uses DD MM.mmm' - make sure that is also the format set on your GPS/Palm software. Pay close attention to the location of decimal points and the degree, minute (') and second (") symbols.

Also possible is a mismatch of the datum (shape of the earth model). It should be set to WGS84 to match the geocache website coordinates.

If you still have trouble please try to be as specific as possible - i.e. what coordinates are you entering, where do they lead you, about where on the map does the correct site seem to be, etc.

May I hitchhike on this. I also am using a Palm IIIxe with the GPSPilot Compass program. It will setup to do Degrees Minutes Seconds or Degrees and Decimal only. It is hard to fiqure out what the Coordinate is when it is on the page as N 39 degrees 46.326 what? I can do the math if I knew what 46.326 was. Is it 46 minutes and .326 sec? The price is right on the Palm and Rand McNalley streetfinder to get me interested but it has been frustrating to fiqure out the Cache.

quote:
Originally posted by JonaMoses:

I also am using a Palm IIIxe with the GPSPilot Compass program. It will setup to do Degrees Minutes Seconds or Degrees and Decimal only.

May I suggest you look into Cetus (freeware) or GeoNiche (shareware $25). I think you will find they will be easier to use for geocaching.

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson