Etrex Vista - Undocumented Features

kq4ym

Anyone found any undocumented features on their Etrex Vistas?

I found that the backlight would go on each time you changed pages which I thought was probably running the batteries down unnecessarily. But I found that if you turn the settings for the backlight to be always on instead of the 15 second, 30 seconds, etc. settings, the light doesn't come on unless you specifically hit the light button (which is the on/off button on the right side).

Also discovered you can turn the compass on and off by holding down the page button on the top right side for a few seconds. A compass icon shows up on the top of the screen when the compass is on. Remember, the compass drains the battery more when it's on.

quote:
Originally posted by kq4ym:

..I found that the backlight would go on each time you changed pages ...

Also discovered you can turn the compass on and off by holding down the page button on the top right side for a few seconds. ....

icon_confused.gif Well I've had my Vista since they came out ... & the light doesn't turn on when I change pages ... no matter what the setting is ... and the compass on and off button is actually marked on the VISTA (front) and is documented in the manual (as pitiful as it is)

348_1002.gif

quote:
Originally posted by kq4ym:

..I found that the backlight would go on each time you changed pages ...

Also discovered you can turn the compass on and off by holding down the page button on the top right side for a few seconds. ....

icon_confused.gif Well I've had my Vista since they came out ... & the light doesn't turn on when I change pages ... no matter what the setting is ... and the compass on and off button is actually marked on the VISTA (front) and is documented in the manual (as pitiful as it is)

348_1002.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

icon_confused.gif Well I've had my Vista since they came out ... & the light doesn't turn on when I change pages ... no matter what the setting is ...

Well, you have to turn the light on first. After the set time period, it will turn off, but will re-activate whenever any button is pushed. Of course, non of the above applies if the unit is connected to an external power source.

PS_sig.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

icon_confused.gif Well I've had my Vista since they came out ... & the light doesn't turn on when I change pages ... no matter what the setting is ...

Well, you have to turn the light on first. After the set time period, it will turn off, but will re-activate whenever any button is pushed. Of course, non of the above applies if the unit is connected to an external power source.

PS_sig.gif