GeoBuddy-Windows waypoint tool

Guest TresOkies

Guest TresOkies

This is actually the proper forum, so I'll start announcing my updates in here...

For those who aren't aware of it, GeoBuddy is a tool for converting waypoint formats, especially useful for users of Garmin MapSource.

Version 1.0.14.0 is now up at

http://www.ericcloninger.com/geocaching/geobuddy

New features are...

• Feature to create new file from selected waypoints
  • Feature to set default icon name in preferences
  • Ability to edit icon type in properties dialog
  • Feature to change multiple waypoints icon at once
  • About box shows current version number (major and minor revisions)
  • Status bar on each window counts number of waypoints in each file
  • New copyright date in about box
  • New toolbar icons
  • Bug fix where I wasn't taking enough precision when converting NGS data sheets

Enjoy. Let me know if you find problems.

-E

ericc@pobox.com

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest infosponge

What a great little program! I was able to download a large file of NGS data sheets and import them into ExpertGPS! Nice work!

I've wanted to hunt some markers in my area and that makes it easy to plot them on a map.

Guest TresOkies

It's good to hear people use it. The reason I wrote the first version was to move NGS datasheets from the web page, into EasyGPS, to my GPSR, and back into MapSource. This way, it goes from web page, thru GeoBuddy and into MapSource without going through the GPSR and subsequently losing the detail data.

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest TresOkies

Because I can't stop twiddling with it...

Version 1.0.15 adds two features

• Reads Geodashing .LOC files
  • Writes a text file that can be read by OziExplorer

-E

Guest DougsBrat

quote:
Originally posted by TresOkies:

-E

I tryed this lil program, and the idea was great, Now I can load caches and view them in my map source aswell as expert GPS.

took me a bit to figure out there are differences in LOC files, and how to combine the spoon feed loc files from geocaching.com into one large one. Now that I have it down its a great program, Thanks [ icon_smile.gif]

Guest DougsBrat

quote:

-E

I tryed this lil program, and the idea was great, Now I can load caches and view them in my map source aswell as expert GPS.

took me a bit to figure out there are differences in LOC files, and how to combine the spoon feed loc files from geocaching.com into one large one. Now that I have it down its a great program, Thanks [ icon_smile.gif]

Guest TresOkies

quote:
Originally posted by DougsBrat:

took me a bit to figure out there are differences in LOC files

I never understood that either. EasyGPS and ExpertGPS both have binary files with .loc extensions that are not compatible with each other. These things evolve over time and hindsight is 20/20, so I won't hassle Dan about it because he does a good service by providing EasyGPS free gratis.

The files that Geocaching.com and other web sites generate are XML text files. These are the files the GeoBuddy understands.

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest TresOkies

Version 1.0.17

• Bug where GeoBuddy wasn't parsing some data sheets correctly.
  • New ROT13 decoder feature.
  • Column headers now sort data.
  • Preference item to sort coordinates by latitude or longitude.
  • Preference item to display coordinates as DD.ddddd, DD MM.mmmmm, or DD MM SS.ss.
  • Preference item to auto-generate waypoint ID from waypoint name
  • Import MapSource export files
  • Starting to write some documentation (not included)
  • Started work on making GeoBuddy a default reader for .loc files and perform "append" on multiple downloads from Geocaching.com (not finished yet)

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest kleidner

Thank you for writing this. I haven't tried it yet, but as soon as can I'll fire it up.

Having to use the GPS unit as a middle man, to get the waypoints back into my Garmin maps is a painful way. This will be so much better.

Guest TresOkies

Found a bug in the delete code but I can't fix it right now because I'm traveling. Don't delete waypoints at the bottom or you will crash. I'll fix it when I can.

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest TresOkies

New version is available. v 1.0.18

Fixed the delete crasher, fixed a bug in OziExplorer output, and worked on the bulk manipulation feature. Worked on waypoint manipulation feature. This feature allows you to modify waypoints in bulk. You can delete waypoints inside or outside a pair of coordinates; delete waypoints east, west, north, or south of a coordinate; modify waypoint types (icon); and modify waypoint values by rounding or truncating. This feature isn't fully tested, so use with caution.

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest welwell

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

What a great little program! I was able to download a large file of NGS data sheets and import them into ExpertGPS! Nice work!

I've wanted to hunt some markers in my area and that makes it easy to plot them on a map.

Would you be so kind an give an example of how to import NGS data sheets to ExpertGPS...Thank you.

Guest welwell

>I've wanted to hunt some markers in my area and that makes it easy to plot them on a map.

Would you be so kind an give an example of how to import NGS data sheets to ExpertGPS...Thank you.

Guest TresOkies

quote:
Originally posted by welwell:

1. Go to http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ds_radius.prl
  2. Enter the desired coordinates and the radius into the edit fields and press the submit button.
  3. The resulting page will contain a list if any markers are found within your parameters.
  4. Select the markers you want to view and press 'Get Datasheets'.
  5. Save the resulting page from your web browser as a text file. Do not modify the file after saving it.
  6. Launch GeoBuddy and open the file you saved by dropping it on GeoBuddy's main window or by using the "file->open" command.
  7. Save the file as a "EasyGPS Waypoint File" using the "File->Save As" command.
  8. Open the file you just saved from GeoBuddy using EasyGPS or ExpertGPS.

GeoBuddy is not a waypoint manager, map viewer or GPS communications application. It is a link between applications that don't speak to each other for a variety of stupid reasons. I'm thinking of renaming it Anthony Zinni.

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest welwell

quote:

2. Enter the desired coordinates and the radius into the edit fields and press the submit button.
  3. The resulting page will contain a list if any markers are found within your parameters.
  5. Save the resulting page from your web browser as a text file. Do not modify the file after saving it.
  6. Launch GeoBuddy and open the file you saved by dropping it on GeoBuddy's main window or by using the "file->open" command.
  7. Save the file as a "EasyGPS Waypoint File" using the "File->Save As" command.

GeoBuddy is not a waypoint manager, map viewer or GPS communications application. It is a link between applications that don't speak to each other for a variety of stupid reasons. I'm thinking of renaming it Anthony Zinni.

-E

What a great program....Thanks so much for the explanation on downloading NGS Files...It works great and I'm going to find some Survey Markers today...Thanks again

Guest welwell

quote:

-E

Went NGS marker looking this afternoon and found the first 2 with just the coords downloaded to my GPS. Excellent coords. were not off any more then normally found when looking for a geocache. Thanks for the great program.

Guest DerFeind

MGRS conversions? Is there possibly a future upgrade with MGRS conversion capabilities? Long/Lat is nice, but there is a few of "us" out here who could deffinately use that capability for fun and "work".

Guest TresOkies

MGRS? Send me the details or a web page that describes the conversion and I'll look into it. Not this week, though. I'm away with only my Mac for company.

-E

ericc@pobox.com

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest Mr. Plow

I've been playing with your program along with Mapsource and EasyGPS and have been unable to do a couple of thing that I would find useful. First import a description into Mapsource - the descriptions show up in both EasyGPS and Geobuddy but will not import into Mapsource. Second getting the Geocaching Icons into Mapsource also doesn't seem to work. Are these short commings or am I doing someting wrong?

Great program! I just used it to import a bunch of NGS markers into National Geographic Topo. It works great just by exporting the waypoints from GeoBuddy as comma separated values. It sure beats doing it by hand. It?s also defiantly going to come in handy as a middleman for Geocache waypoints instead of my GPSR. Thanks

A great program

I've been playing with it to export geocaching waypoints to CSV format and then import them into MS Streets and Trips...

Two glitches (but easily surmountable)...

The heading line in the exported .csv file has a typo in "Latitude" (you've got one too many "it"s); and

The heading line has Latitude and Longitude interchanged; (the first time when I just corrected the spelling of latitude and imported into Streets and Trips, all the waypoints showed up in Antartica - much to my surprise!!)

A great program.

Thanks...

now if only there were a simple way to deal with the single quotes, double quotes, commas and ampersands in the geocaching waypont names...

(or joy of joys -- if there were an easy way to download more than 15 waypoints at a time -- say an entire province or ... icon_wink.gif )

now if only there were a simple way to deal with the single quotes, double quotes, commas and ampersands in the geocaching waypont names...

(or joy of joys -- if there were an easy way to download more than 15 waypoints at a time -- say an entire province or ... icon_wink.gif )

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Plow:

...getting the Geocaching Icons into Mapsource also doesn't seem to work. Are these short commings or am I doing someting wrong?

First, thanks TresOkies for the great program.

Second, the above is the question I was just about to post in the forum. I selected all in GeoBuddy and changed all the waypoint types to Geocache. When importing into MapSource the icons do not display the Geocache icon, but rather the default waypoint icon. Anyone know how to make this work?

The logical solution would be to select all in MapSource and change the icon to Geocache, but unless I'm an idiot it won't let you do that! It will only let you change one icon at a time. Very lame. mad.gif

quote:
Originally posted by b&e:

I've been playing with it to export geocaching waypoints to CSV format and then import them into MS Streets and Trips...

Cool! The next thing on my list is to try to import these into Streets & Trips...

-exConn

------------------

What is Project Virginia?

[This message has been edited by exConn (edited 16 February 2002).]

Guest John E Cache

Great idea!

FYI. On the GeoBuddy page it says that EasyGPS saves files in binary loc format. I was looking at another page and found out you can save files from EasyGPS to xml format by simply putting a .xml on the file name.

I used that feature to figure out how put the elevation into the xml files.

Ok, I hate to admit my stupidity (usually other people do that for me!) but,

How do I use GeoBuddy?? Help!

I would like to get waypoints from Geocaching to my GPS w/o having to cut and past into Map Source as I do now. 1st I cut/paste the coordinates, then the name, then the description, then I change the icon. I do this for each waypoint! It takes forever & many steps for each waypoint.

There has to be a simpler way but I need it laid out in 1...2...3... steps.

I read all the info on geobuddy & have used easy GPS. Can anyone help me?

quote:
Originally posted by crusso:

1) Go to the Hide & Seek a Cache page

2) Enter a Zip to search on

As an example, let's say you searched 10801 and it came back with 100 caches. The first page will show "1 to 25 of 100".

3) Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select the "Check All" button

4) Click the "Download to EasyGPS for Groundspeak" link

5) Click "Ok" to save the file to disk.

6) Change to a directory you want to save the file in, type in "Waypoints1" (or something similar) in the filename box and click the "Save" button

You now have a Waypoints1.loc file with the first 25 waypoints in it.

7) Click "next" on the Nearest Geocache page

8) Now go back and do steps 3-7 again changing the filename to Waypoints2.

9) Now go back and do steps 3-7 again changing the filename to Waypoints3.

10) Now go back and do steps 3-6 again changing the filename to Waypoints4.

You now have 4 files each with 25 waypoints in them.

11) Open GeoBuddy

12) Open all four Waypoints*.loc files with GeoBuddy

Note: I'm not on my computer with GeoBuddy right now so I don't know the exact menu selections, but...

13) Under one of the menus (I believe it's the File menu) select "Merge"

This will put all 4 of your Waypoints*.loc files into one file with 100 waypoints.

14) Select the save option and there will be a dropdown box to save in different formats. Select the one that is used by MapSource (again, I'm not at the right computer so I'm not sure of the exact wording in the dropdown box).

15) Enter a filename and click "Save"

16) Open MapSource

17) Import the new filename into MapSource

It should bring in your 100 waypoints.

Note: These instructions are for a Windows machine, not sure about Macs.

One thing. Although you can choose "Manipulate" in GeoBuddy to change all the waypoints to Geocache, it does not bring in the Geocache icon as far as I can tell into MapSource.

It's kind of tedious, but to bring in all your local points at once, it's worth the time spent (sure beats cutting and pasting icon_smile.gif)

-exConn

------------------

[This message has been edited by exConn (edited 19 February 2002).]

quote:
Originally posted by crusso:

1) Go to the Hide & Seek a Cache page

2) Enter a Zip to search on

As an example, let's say you searched 10801 and it came back with 100 caches. The first page will show "1 to 25 of 100".

3) Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select the "Check All" button

4) Click the "Download to EasyGPS for Groundspeak" link

5) Click "Ok" to save the file to disk.

6) Change to a directory you want to save the file in, type in "Waypoints1" (or something similar) in the filename box and click the "Save" button

You now have a Waypoints1.loc file with the first 25 waypoints in it.

7) Click "next" on the Nearest Geocache page

8) Now go back and do steps 3-7 again changing the filename to Waypoints2.

9) Now go back and do steps 3-7 again changing the filename to Waypoints3.

10) Now go back and do steps 3-6 again changing the filename to Waypoints4.

You now have 4 files each with 25 waypoints in them.

11) Open GeoBuddy

12) Open all four Waypoints*.loc files with GeoBuddy

Note: I'm not on my computer with GeoBuddy right now so I don't know the exact menu selections, but...

13) Under one of the menus (I believe it's the File menu) select "Merge"

This will put all 4 of your Waypoints*.loc files into one file with 100 waypoints.

14) Select the save option and there will be a dropdown box to save in different formats. Select the one that is used by MapSource (again, I'm not at the right computer so I'm not sure of the exact wording in the dropdown box).

15) Enter a filename and click "Save"

16) Open MapSource

17) Import the new filename into MapSource

It should bring in your 100 waypoints.

One thing. Although you can choose "Manipulate" in GeoBuddy to change all the waypoints to Geocache, it does not bring in the Geocache icon as far as I can tell into MapSource.

It's kind of tedious, but to bring in all your local points at once, it's worth the time spent (sure beats cutting and pasting icon_smile.gif)

-exConn

------------------

[This message has been edited by exConn (edited 19 February 2002).]

Guest TresOkies

pt that I keep toying around with the notion of GeoBuddy 2.0 and I'd like to end-of-life this code base.

quote:

There is no good solution for Mac users because it relies heavily on some silly Windows-isms that made it easy for me to get version 1.0.0 out the door quickly. For now, the solution is to use Virtual PC. Yes, I know VPC is a pig. I use it almost daily and I hate it.

quote:

Yeah, I need to look into that. I'm guessing it's a problem with MapSource's input parser, but it could be something else.

quote:

The first rule of Project Virginia is we don't talk about Project Virginia. icon_smile.gif

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest TresOkies

pt that I keep toying around with the notion of GeoBuddy 2.0 and I'd like to end-of-life this code base.

quote:

There is no good solution for Mac users because it relies heavily on some silly Windows-isms that made it easy for me to get version 1.0.0 out the door quickly. For now, the solution is to use Virtual PC. Yes, I know VPC is a pig. I use it almost daily and I hate it.

quote:

Yeah, I need to look into that. I'm guessing it's a problem with MapSource's input parser, but it could be something else.

quote:

The first rule of Project Virginia is we don't talk about Project Virginia. icon_smile.gif

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest TresOkies

C is a pig. I use it almost daily and I hate it.

quote:

quote:

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest TresOkies

C is a pig. I use it almost daily and I hate it.

quote:

quote:

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest TresOkies

Version 1.0.19.0 is up. This version fixes some of the small bugs and minor feature requests. This will likely be the last version of GeoBuddy 1.x that I make. I've started the process of writing the new version of GeoBuddy, so all the requests for major features and new formats will go there.

http://www.geobuddy.com

• Fixed JavaScript bug on web site (grrr).
  • Added Streets and Trips output option with coordinates first and an URL. I don't know if the URL is correct because I don't have S&T. Let me know.
  • Added pref item to specify order of coordinates for CSV and Ozi output
  • Added pref item to strip commas and double quotes from quoted CSV output
  • Added pref item to generate proximity information for MapSource with a value of 0.0. May or may not fix bug with Garmin V proximity waypoints.
  • Fixed misspelled 'latitude' in CSV output
  • Aligned coordinates with column headers in MapSource output
  • Fixed refresh bug where first file appeared blank until resized or moved.
  • Removed extraneous addition of cache name to CDATA section

If you find a serious bug or something incorrect with the current way GeoBuddy operates, let me know. If you have feature requests and pet data formats you'd like supported, let me know as well. My email address is geobuddy@geobuddy.com

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

quote:

Added Streets and Trips output option with coordinates first and an URL. I don't know if the URL is correct because I don't have S&T. Let me know.

Dude! You ROCK!!! Now just get it to go to the site and download an entire State for you and I'll give you my first born!!!! (Just kidding, how about my 4th born, we've got number 3 in the oven right now and if we somehow ended up going for number 4 after that, I wouldn't have a place to keep him/her!!!)

------------------

MrCpu

mrcpu@myrealbox.com

Finds

Hides

quote:
Originally posted by b&e:

A great program

Two glitches (but easily surmountable)...

The heading line in the exported .csv file has a typo in "Latitude" (you've got one too many "it"s); and

The heading line has Latitude and Longitude interchanged; (the first time when I just corrected the spelling of latitude and imported into Streets and Trips, all the waypoints showed up in Antartica - much to my surprise!!)

The position of the words doesn't matter, just that they are "Latitude" and "Longitude" , "Name" and "Name 2".

MS S+T 2002 handles this a bit better leting you import AND display any data you want in the baloon, with or without headers.

http://ian.kenetic.com/ is a buddy of mine and he has an entire CANADA import file that he maintains... check it out and let me know. (I showed him how to use S+T, now he wants me to write a PERL program to suck an entire state down!)

------------------

MrCpu

mrcpu@myrealbox.com

Finds

Hides

Guest TresOkies

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

Dude! You ROCK!!! Now just get it to go to the site and download an entire State for you and I'll give you my first born!!!! (Just kidding, how about my 4th born, we've got number 3 in the oven right now and if we somehow ended up going for number 4 after that, I wouldn't have a place to keep him/her!!!)

Sure! Elijah needs a little brother or sister and we have plenty of room here at the ranch. Or, we'll keep trying the old-fashioned way :)

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest TresOkies

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

The position of the words doesn't matter, just that they are "Latitude" and "Longitude" , "Name" and "Name 2".

Is it "Name 2" with a space or "Name2" no spaces. I have it without spaces, but one of my users tells me it works. I'm wondering if he massages the output after GeoBuddy processes it. My goal is for you not to have to use a text editor or spreadsheet after I generate it.

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest TresOkies

ition of the words doesn't matter, just that they are "Latitude" and "Longitude" , "Name" and "Name 2".

Is it "Name 2" with a space or "Name2" no spaces. I have it without spaces, but one of my users tells me it works. I'm wondering if he massages the output after GeoBuddy processes it. My goal is for you not to have to use a text editor or spreadsheet after I generate it.

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest TresOkies

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Tresokies: Can I use this to move waypoints and routes between Mapsource and National Geographic Topo without using my Vista? Gee, I hope so. Bless you!

Alan

That's the goal. I need to know what NG Topo's input or import format is. Do you have any documentation describing it?

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest mrgigabyte

Eric, I need your expert advise...

I am trying to figure out how to get a MapSource route into MacGPS. You had previously added the reverse feature to GeoBuddy which works beautifully. But now, I need to go the other way.

MapSource is running under Virtual PC on a USB only Mac. I do not have a USB -> serial adaptor. That Mac is networked to a serial based Mac that unfortunately cannot cannot run VPC, but is running MacGPS. So, in other words, I can't simply load the route into my eTrex from Mapsourse and then download into MacGPS.

Mapsource will output a tab delimited file consisting of all your waypoints plus a route description.

Is there any way to massage the tabbed text file MapSource outputs in Geobuddy, to create a route/waypoint file for import into MacGPS?

I have no children to offer, just more white powder! ;-)