Canadian Garmin Owners that Needed Service

Well, I had the old screen scramble that everyone's been talking about icon_mad.gif and my Legend was under warranty. I sent it off on June 19th to one of the two companies in Quebec and only got it back yesterday (a month and 10 days???). icon_eek.gif

They had to send it to Garmin in the States and Garmin sent it back on July 10th. What took so long for it to get there and why so long to get it back? Anybody else have these problems with service in Canada?

Also, they replaced my unit. I don't have the exact serial number right now but will update it later. They are relatively close together and it lead me to believe that they were produced at about the same time. Why shouldn't I think that I'll have the same problems?

Finally, it the unit is replaced, shouldn't Garmin give you another year on the warranty. Mine is only good for the greater of 90 days and the balance of the first year (my case). What exactly is it that they are saying about their product?

icon_confused.gif

Even though you enter the wrong waypoint....you're still in the right spot!

I have had some fairly good services from gpsdeal.com in Quebec. I had phoned garmin b/c my Venture's click stick was 'acting' up. They told me it would easier for me to ship it to some place in Quebec and gave the phone number.

When I phoned the guy on the other line told me to fill out a return form on gpsdeal.com and mail the unit to them.

I sent it last Wednesday (Xpresspost) and I got it back yesterday (tuesday). I was pretty impressed that it only took 6 days. The click stick does 'feel' different so I think it is fixed but I haven't used it extensively.

It sucks that your's took so long. That was my biggest fear about sending it away. I would also think that if they replaced your GPS, it shouldn't have take that long.

I would write to Garmin and tell them that you are unhappy with the situation. Most companies appreciate feedback, both the good and the bad.

EmmaBean

"dadgum the Man. Save the Empire."

quote:
Originally posted by Taxman003:

Well, I had the old screen scramble that everyone's been talking about icon_mad.gif and my Legend was under warranty. I sent it off on June 19th to one of the two companies in Quebec and only got it back yesterday (a month and 10 days???). icon_eek.gif

They had to send it to Garmin in the States and Garmin sent it back on July 10th. What took so long for it to get there and why so long to get it back? Anybody else have these problems with service in Canada?

Also, they replaced my unit. I don't have the exact serial number right now but will update it later. They are relatively close together and it lead me to believe that they were produced at about the same time. Why shouldn't I think that I'll have the same problems?

Finally, it the unit is replaced, shouldn't Garmin give you another year on the warranty. Mine is only good for the greater of 90 days and the balance of the first year (my case). What exactly is it that they are saying about their product?

icon_confused.gif

Even though you enter the wrong waypoint....you're still in the right spot!

well i dont own a garmin but the service with the magellans in canada is similar. there is only one service depot in canada (bobs electronics in ontario, i think) and when i ask abour the turn around the service folks at makellan suggested if it was an issue to send it to them and the turn around would be less than 2 weeks shipping included barring unforseen circumstances.

as for the warranty, you only get 1 year from orginal purchase but with some of the known wear issues you may be able to get service out of warranty if you deal with them sensibly. why would you expect a greater warrany, at least they are going to warranty their repair (ie minimum of 90 days)?

'Get to the point---speak English!!!!'