Garmin II+ -- Replace or repair?

I've got a Garmin II+ (with combo power/PC cable) that is persistently giving me a "Memory Battery is Low" message. The book says it will need to go back to Garmin to get a new memory battery.

That will set me back $89 + postage.

I am otherwise satisfied with the unit, but can't help wondering if I wouldn't be better off spending a few more $$ and getting a newer unit, with WAAS and perhaps electronic compass. (On numerous occasions I've wished I had a compass with me but had either forgotten it or left it in the car.)

I was looking at the eTrex Summit, for example -- anyone have any experience with it? Would it be a good upgrade from my II+?

(And, of course, I'm sure I'd have to invest in a new cable . . .) icon_rolleyes.gif

Also -- I've been using NiMH batteries in it -- is it possible that it's as simple as NiMH batteries not adequately charging the internal battery?

Violas ROCK! icon_biggrin.gif

There are 10 kinds of people in the world -- those who understand binary, and those who don't. [icon_wink.gif]

quote:

I am otherwise satisfied with the unit, but can't help wondering if I wouldn't be better off spending a few more $$ and getting a newer unit, with WAAS and perhaps electronic compass.

[icon_wink.gif]

I would keep on going with it if it was me. But if you decide to move on, I would love to give that II+ a new home.

schiesz

Well, the problem is solved, I think, and I'm a happy camper. One of the recommended solutions from Garmin is to plug it in with the car lighter adapter for a few days, and that seemed to do the trick. No more "memory battery low" message. Methinks that using NiMH batteries in it just don't do the trick as far as recharging the built-in battery. icon_razz.gif

There are 10 kinds of people in the world -- those who understand binary, and those who don't. [icon_wink.gif]

Violas ROCK! [icon_biggrin.gif] Swimmers RULE! [8D]