GPS selection

cutbate

I am purchasing a GPSr that will be used by one of my daughters who will be in a rainforest area of Peru this summer. She will also have maps and compass. After this trip (and if I can get it back from her) I will be using it to start trying out a little of this geocaching and for fishing, usually in a kayak. I am looking at the Garmin 76 model for the following reasons: the antenna "might" be a little better in the trees and it floats in case I drop it while fishing in the kayak. Does this sound like a reasonable selection for a non-map unit?

Originally posted by nincehelser:

You might want to check out the Garmin 72 if you want to save a few bucks.

I did consider the 72 but since it does not come with a pc cable and the 76 does I figured I would go ahead and spring for the higher resolution for just a little more. Of course I guess I could continue this reasoning until I bought the Map 76S!

I just got my second unit. I had a Magellan 4000xl for the last three years and have been shopping around for quite some time to upgrade but didn't want to spend too much. I use it quite a bit for geocaching, hiking, and fishing. I just picked up a Magellan Meridian for $99 brand new. It has every feature I was looking for, WAAS, mapping, floats, highly sensitive antenna, I pick up 3 sats sitting in my living room. My older unit didn't get any indoors. Came with data cable, got the power cable for $22. For $125 bucks I have all I need. Just an FYI....