GPS Software Question

Dio

Howdy,

I am very new to the GPS world and have a question regarding software. I've come across two packages that seem to enhance my Garmin GPSmap 76S. The two packages are OziExplorer and ExpertGPS. Both have nice features (from what I can tell). I like the ability to do 3D topo's with the add-on module from OziExplorer. Does anybody here have an opinion either way on these packages?

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated! icon_smile.gif

Dio,

I have EasyGPS and ExpertGPS. I don't use easy GPS anymore but sure love ExpertGPS. It is easy to use and yes you don't get the 3D. I have installed OziExplorer and find it difficult to use. I am not sure if you can manage your waypoints and tracks with it very well. Maybe if I would play with it some I could get use to it and make it work. But for now, I will stay with ExpertGPS.

murph

I have Regestered both Ozi Explorer & ExpertGPS, and use the demo so far of Ozi3d.

Both are great programs for different uses:

If you only intend to Geocache with it then ExpertGPS is easier and includes maps downloadable from internet (US only) as needed, and you can import and calibrate maps too.

Ozi Explorer is alot more configurable, and allows for add ons like the 3d and other 3rd party add-on's.

It Comes with no maps nor downloadable on request, but you can import from various formats and some places sell the maps pre-calibrated.

Ozi Explorer is one of the tools I use to create my own Custom Garmin Maps for my GPS.

Both programs have downloadable demos from their sites, try both and you decide which works best for you, or get both icon_wink.gif

More rules = Less fun!

geocachingdb_button.giftexasgeocaching_sm.gifntga_button.gif

I have played some with OziEplorer but I can't even figure out how to get a map to it. I see there is an import map but where do I import the map from. I like ExpertGPS cause I can save the wapoints etc etc and then later create my maps. With OziExplorer do I have to have my GPS hooked up at the time to get the map?? As you can see I am very new to this stuff also. I would really love the idea of having a 3d map. I have this large plotter at work and I can print on 36" X 28" paper including color. So if someone could tell me the best way to get a map on Ozi it would be great. Maybe something simple just haven't had the time to figure it out.

murph

Re: Ozi Import

I am still running 3.9

but there is a "load and calibrate" function under the "files" menu. The shareware version only allows BMPs, but the real version allows many different formats. Once the map image is loaded, it must be "registered" by supplying the co-ords for two locations.

Which reminds me .. I really gotta update my Ozi.

>Personally Responsible for the Recovery of .00244% of the Benchmark Database!<--watch this number!

Thanks for all the input!

I do like the features of ExpertGPS - the management of waypoints is a big plus. As for OziExplorer, the 3D option is very important to me. Don't really want to buy both. icon_frown.gif

Guess I need to keep working with both demos. If anybody else has an opinion, please share it!

ive used:

mapinfo

ozi

fugawi

gpstm/gtmpro

easy/expertgps

gps utility

among a host of others. by far ozi has proven to be the most complete all round gis package ive sampled. the only 2 weaknesses ive found in ozi is its failure to load waypoint files from this site and its inability to layer inlaid data.

my suggestion would be if the software is only for geocaching go with expertgps if you really want mapping and other such features, if you have other plans in mind use easygps for geocaching and ozi for more advanced gis work.

'Get to the point---speak English!!!!'