GPS III+ doesn't do turn-by-turn?

sswany

I have a GPS III+ that someone gave me and I have Roads and Recreation from Mapsource, but if I take two waypoints (which, by the way, you have to find manually, because it doesn't look up addresses) it will route them, but only by a straight line. I thought it would do turns and stuff (in the software) and then I could upload it? Am I wrong? If I'm not, then this thing really does no good driving then.

Thanks guys.

Scott

No, the III+ doesn't do turn by turn. Only the V and the SPIII will do that trick. The latest version of Metroguide will route turn by turn, but you wouldn't be able to use that on the III+. Not enough memory.

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"

quote:
Originally posted by Alphawolf:

No, the III+ doesn't do turn by turn. Only the V and the SPIII will do that trick. The latest version of Metroguide will route turn by turn, but you wouldn't be able to use that on the III+. Not enough memory.

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"

Absolute Ditto

quote:
Originally posted by sswany:

well that sucks. thanks for the info though. now i don't know why i have the III+. V here I come.

Hey Scott. Don't be in a hurry to kick the III Plus to the curb. I've got the V for road navigation, & aside from the Street Pilot III, I think the V is the best unit for that purpose. III Plus won't do you a whole lot of good on the road, but when it comes to heading into the woods after a cache,in my opinion, the III Plus is one of the best units out there for locking on satellites under tree cover. Not a whole lot of mapping storage capacity, but a great unit. Go for the V, but keep the III Plus too. icon_biggrin.gif

"Gimpy"

My III+ does turn by turn but not auto-routing. If i create a route in Map Source or Street Atlas or ... and upload it to the III+ and activate that route I get turn by turn. Of course if you are out and about auto-routing would sure be nice.

[This message was edited by Team 5-oh! on December 05, 2002 at 10:49 PM.]

quote:
If i create a route in Map Source or Street Atlas or ... and upload it to the III+ and activate that route I get turn by turn

Yes, actually this is correct. If you create a route on your computer using someone's street software, you can then dump that route into the III+ and let it route you turn by turn through the route. It obviously won't recalculate the route by itself(like a V or SPIII) in case of detours and such. This is what the term "autorouting" refers to... The ability to create a route, given only a destination. Paired up with the new version of Metroguide that does autorouting on the PC, you could effectively create driving routes with fairly good accuracy. I can't remember how many route waypoints the III+ holds(I believe 30). You might be forced to segment a long trip into several routes, depending on the number of turns you have to make. Also, I'm not sure MetroGuide would set a waypoint at say an interstate off-ramp, where the turn is a gradual one.

It is a fairly good number of route waypoints. I just dumped a route to it with 33 of them and Im sure I have done 50 or more in the past. As for autorouting software I use street atlas for that and it does a good job. If I want to do a quick and simple manual route I use SA or Map Source (which ever I have running at the time).