New geocacher seeks help!

KJF

Hey,

I posted this on the GAGB forum and they suggested I try over here:

I'm new to geocaching and I really want to get involved, but I don't really know how to start. I'd like to mayeb meet some other geocachers who can "show me the ropes", so to speak. Are there any local directories of geocachers or and members whom I could cantact? I live in Angus, Scotland. Thanks.

KJ

Where Am I?

Without wanting to send you back and forth, from what I understand the GAGB will eventually have such a directory, although it doesn't exist at present.

That said, I'll repeat what I said in the GAGB forum - if I'm in Angus in a few weeks (as I might well be) I would be happy to give you a helping hand.

Otherwise, if no-one else can help, I would suggest that (especially if you are a family team) that one or two of the adults go out first to a relatively easy cache. You can get a rough idea of a caches difficulty by looking at it's Difficulty/Terrain rating - for example, this would probably be a relatively straightforward cache, though I'm not sure how close it is to you.

Sometimes jumping in with both feet first can be the most rewarding way of getting to know the game - the matters of etiquette, or getting to know your GPS can be gleaned from asking on these forums, or from experience.

------

"There's Sparticus. That's him, over there."

Having just started myself, I agree with Kouros, just get out there and do it.

I found my first cache, the only one I've looked for so far, without a GPS. I went for one which was close to where I live, and in an area I knew very well. It was possible to find the general area of the cache by using the OS map site, you can put in grid refs though they are not to the accuracy that geocaching needs. From there the hints and photos helped.

I do agree with makerofthingsup, whose newest cache I was pleased to find yesterday, that clues/hints should be available for use with the gps and not to make it unnecessary. And then they should be quite brief to make decoding in the field reasonable for those of us who have a go first without the clue and turn to it when baffled.

Happy to be member of GAGB and grateful user of GeocacheUK