Meta Cache

Team Minim

Just wondering what thoughts would be on a "meta Cache"- let me elucidate...

3-4 real caches with some element of virtuality, e.g. a date of some co-ordinate modifier.

The meta cache uses that data to produce the co-ords for the final cache.

Only by doing the other caches can you hope to find the metacache.

What do you think?

Especially if the metacache holder used others caches? especially if there was a wide area to be covered?

Has this been done already?

Protect GeoCaching, Ignore an Oxymoron!

quote:
Originally posted by Team Minim:

It's really the bit about using caches set up by others I was wondering about...

Would it be viewed as fair?

Protect GeoCaching, Ignore an Oxymoron!

The idea of using someone elses cache has met with dissaproval in the past, so I guess it should now.

To be fair, whilst it does not sound like a bad idea, this could be the start of somthing we would not want to encourage, loads and loads of 'parasite' caches.

Also, what happens when the caches you are using for clues have already been visited by a cacher, he would have to visit all over again just to get the clues.

Interesting title though, without getting my dictionary out, 'Meta' means hidden, and 'cache' as we all know means 'hidden store'. So this means it would be a 'hidden hidden store'. Very clever !

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

Perhaps I should have expressed my etymological intention icon_biggrin.gif

pass me the thesaurus and I'll try again. icon_wink.gif

META-: A prefix meaning "above," "after," "beyond," or "superior" when used in critical

discourse, as in metacriticism, metafiction, metalanguage, metanarrative

Presumng consent from the owners of the original caches to use their virtual bits-would that be OK?

There would still be a box to find....

Cache the Bug-Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Team Minim:

Just wondering what thoughts would be on a "meta Cache"- let me elucidate...

3-4 real caches with some element of virtuality, e.g. a date of some co-ordinate modifier.

The meta cache uses that data to produce the co-ords for the final cache.

Only by doing the other caches can you hope to find the metacache.

What do you think?

I did a similar thing with a "quiz" cache I did: having collected one of my disks, you ran the quiz, which was based on things you should have noticed when visiting other local caches. If you get the right answer, you get the cache coordinates (if you don't, you get to a pub!!)

Part of my reason for doing it was to be different", the other part was to encourage people to have to visit several other local caches!

My original idea was to just place disks into other's caches, but this was felt by TPTB to not be a "correct thing to do".

Now, the problem with doing anything new is that some people don't like change. To some extent, I can understand... after all, the first cache was placed simply so that anyone with a GPS could go there & find it. The inventer of "the game" may not want that changing (it's MY ball, so we play MY game). The opposing view is "that gets a bit boring, lets do something a bit more fun".

There are many reasons people place caches. One is to take people somewhere nice you have found. Another is to try & do things in a sneaky way (eg cache is actually in a tree). Or to make people have to think a bit, as well as just walk & look.

I'm not sure HOW far things should change, yet still call it "geo-caching", although I suspect I am probably more easy-going about it than some.

Paul

Team Blitz

White gravel? What white gravel? I can't see any.... heck, who cares!