Most popular first find cache?

crr003

I was looking back at my cache finds and noticed that my first find has also been the first find for four others - which is 25% of all logged finds (5/20). Given its location I was a bit surprised.

Is there an easy way to find the most popular first find cache in UK or is the answer to wait for GUK.com-GC.com?

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

This is definitely a case for GUK stats page.

Presumably the total number of first finds is pretty close to new members in the same period. Then I would assume they would try the closest or easiest caches for their first go.

So would the stats reflect that in the early days, when there were relatively few caches, the same ones were hit repeatedly and then as the options increased the first find locations reflected the areas where the new members lived.

I reckon that a 3 month time interval examination of first find percentage cross referenced to difficulty of the cache could be interesting. But I haven't a clue how to do it.

Of course all the above assumption is rubbish if most new members are introduced by existing members as then their choice may influence the "first find"

My own first find was nearest to my home although I had been unsuccessful with 2 others before that.

Would first attempt rather than first find be more relevant?

All the above is a sunday morning ramble - feel free to disregard.

Lance

It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Think we did this topic a while back... but I'm damned if I can find it in the archives.

I remember saying at the time that one of my caches had 4 first-timers (about 30% at the time, I think), but that only one of them had gone on to continue with the hobby. Maybe I put them off icon_redface.gif

Mark

----------------------

I was technical once

quote:
Originally posted by Lance Ambu:

Presumably the total number of first finds is pretty close to new members in the same period. Then I would assume they would try the closest or easiest caches for their first go.

So would the stats reflect that in the early days, when there were relatively few caches, the same ones were hit repeatedly and then as the options increased the first find locations reflected the areas where the new members lived.

I would agree with you that it's logical to seek your first close to home. Having said that, I didn't though (130KM). Don't know why, except I like to drive in Wales. I was initially surprised others appeared to have gone out of their way to find this one too, but then again it is a holiday type of area.

Not sure there's any logic (or point icon_biggrin.gif) to this.

Interesting that Coombe Hill has a lot of first finds, but also a fair few of the cachers didn't keep up the sport/game/hobby. Maybe due to lack of further close caches at that time.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

quote:
Originally posted by crr003:

I would agree with you that it's logical to seek your first close to home. Having said that, I didn't though (130KM). Don't know why, except I like to drive in Wales. I was initially surprised others appeared to have gone out of their way to find this one too, but then again it is a holiday type of area.

Not sure there's any logic (or point icon_biggrin.gif) to this.

No point needed.

Reading peoples' best ofs... most seem to favour caches that take to where they wouldn't normally go. So the distant cache may have an attraction.

Maybe, we are seeking the essence of a geocacher. Should the question be "why do we do it?"

And that would be another topic that I'm not going to begin because its endless.

regards

Lance

It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

quote:
Originally posted by Lance Ambu:

The closest we could get would be "caches found on a person's first day's caching", as there is no time field on the logs. About 18% of people do more than one cache on their first day (walruschef did 12!). Other than that, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Of course, first we need to get the data from geocaching.com...

[This message was edited by Teasel on January 06, 2003 at 05:59 AM.]

OK, I've had a quick play with the old and slightly incomplete data on G:UK and the top 10 is as follows:

+----------+------------------------------------------+----------+| waypoint | name                                     | count(*) |+----------+------------------------------------------+----------+| GC6F96   | London Travel bug drop box               |       29 || GC171    | View from Coombe Hill                    |       21 || GC249    | London's First cache: A walk in the park |       19 || GC4201   | St Etheldreda's (Central London)         |       16 || GC1D43   | Viaduct View (Hampshire)                 |       15 || GCBE3    | The Queens Oak                           |       15 || GC1D42   | Facing Saints (Hampshire)                |       13 || GC42E    | Waterbeach Island                        |       13 || GC295    | Mott The Hoople (Leics)                  |       12 || GC48E6   | poor mans cache in kensington gardens    |       11 |+----------+------------------------------------------+----------+ 

This is actually the list of "first UK caches found by people", which probably explains why the travel bug drop box takes the number one spot.

My first find was a cache close to home as there was only one icon_frown.gif in my county back in July. But now I am happy icon_biggrin.gif to say I have managed to interest somebody in the game so there are a few more starting to appear. I have hidden a few myself and the new cacher who is a friend of mine has started very enthusiastically since she got a gps from her husband for Christmas. So hopefully by next summer there will be quite a few to find. At this time of year I think I will be the first finder for all her caches and she will be the first finder for all of mine. Going by the finds my caches had last summer they were all from travelling cachers doing a tour of the Highlands. I was able to follow peoples route around the North by the logs that were placed. So if you havent planned your summer holiday for next year forget spain or ibiza wrap up warm in your walking boots and waterproofs (remember your midge repellanticon_eek.gif) and head north. icon_biggrin.gif LOL!!!

Hear about the 2 blondes that walked into a bar?

You would of thought at least one of them would of seen it!!

quote:
Originally posted by Masher:

Think we did this topic a while back... but I'm damned if I can find it in the archives.

I remember saying at the time that one of my caches had 4 first-timers (about 30% at the time, I think), but that only one of them had gone on to continue with the hobby.

The post you remembered was here.

Happy New Year.

element14