When should a cache get archived?

Nia

We feel it is Presumptuous to say that because you can not find a cache, it is not there.

Obviously Finding the lid however is proof.

Tech-no notice

Then Surely the only way to resolve this problem is for the cache owner to visit the cache and check out the situation, regardless of Distance , after all you are the person responsible for it,

And this will clear matters up once and for al.l Make it temp out of order until it is checked out,

How far IS the cache away from your new address?

Nige

quote:
Originally posted by Nia:

MCL also logged 'Obelisk on the Prime meridian Line' as missing. This was then confirmed by 2 other cachers 2 months ago.

Why isn't he making a huge fuss about that and complaining to the moderaters. as of this post it is still active?

Well yes this is true, I did, but the slight difference here is that shortly after my posting a not-found, someone else went to check it too, so at least there was the feeling of 'something-being-done' about that particular one. Also, the trip and location wasn't 'wasted' since I was able to claim a find for that location under another cache (Meridian Markers) so I guess I didn't feel so frustrated by it. Another reason is that that one (obelisk) is not on my front page (its miles away) so doesn't show up on my radar screen every time I log on, whereas yours did and I wanted to be rid of it. Glad to see it (obelisk) is now archived though.

quote:
Originally MCL wrote several times asking us if he could claim a find for 'Lofty' I can not remember my answer, but I thik it was that it was up to him if he wanted to claim a find for a cache he said was not there.

We feel it is Presumptuous to say that because you can not find a cache, it is not there.

Actually I only wrote that in one email to you, and only as an afterthought as in What you might do in the meantime is suspend the cache, or put a note on the page, and if you were really kind you could allow me to claim a cache hit since I found the right location twice... :-)

I only asked (a bit tongue-in-cheek I might add..) this because of the unique circumstances this cache was in, in that you had provided a photo of the actual tree, so there is no doubt whatever that the location had been found. It wasn't my fault that the cache wasn't there and on any other cache, there is always some doubt about whether the 'not-finder' was really in the right place, but with your excellent photograph, there could be no doubt.

Why don't you temporarily convert the cache into a virtual cache? Everything required for that is in place. Anyone can go find that tree and then log a find. It has the advantage that (i) it doesn't require maintenance and (ii) it is friendly to the guys over on TMA who just love to jump up and down about plastic lunchboxes...

The other reason for requesting a find in this particular case is that, what happens next? You say you are going to replace it, and if that is the case, then do I have to wait until you do and then go traipsing out into those woods again just to visit a tree I already know the exact location of, to bend down and move the exact same branch I have moved three times already, just to be able to turn a log into a find?

If I have to do that then I will but it does seem a bit pointless in this case. I'm not suggesting this scenario applies in the case of any other cache, just this one.

See what I mean?

Oh and do you want your lid back?

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

quote:
Originally posted by MCL:

Why don't you temporarily convert the cache into a virtual cache? Everything required for that is in place. Anyone can go find that tree and then log a find. It has the advantage that (i) it doesn't require maintenance and (ii) it is friendly to the guys over on TMA who just love to jump up and down about plastic lunchboxes...

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works, but that would be contrary to the guidelines which say that virtual caches can only be used where the location cannot support a traditional cache.

I'm not trying to be obstructive here, but that is what we do, hunt boxes.

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

May I risk the wrath of all and suggest that This Cache is a prime candidate for archiving. It appears to have gone missing. The cache owners, who have only hidden and found one cache, both in April last year don't appear to be very active. (My humble appologies if I've got that totally wrong) Perhaps if anybody who's found this cache in the past and lives locally could check it out... ?

John

Wild Tupperware Hunter

quote:
Originally posted by Motley Crew:

Hi everyone.

Forgive my ignorance (1st post & newbie - double trouble!) but I'm at a loss as to how I can locate archived caches for 'viewing' purposes. I'm sure I spotted a virtual cache at Hill Head, Hampshire on the web site while lurking recently but now I cannot locate it on the site anywhere. As it was(?) is(?) close to my home I was hoping to use it as a 'training' aid for me, the better half, the kids, the dog, the GPS etc etc ...

Cheers for now

motley. adj. varied in appearance or character.

crew. n. group of people.

Hi there Motley Crew

The cache you talk about is in fact a locationless cache, I have emailed you the details to save explaining it here.

For anyone else it is Beach Hut Hunt by Amy and Adams Dad

cheers

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

May I risk the wrath of all and suggest that http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=18451 is a prime candidate for archiving. It appears to have gone missing. The cache owners, who have only hidden and found one cache, both in April last year don't appear to be very active. (My humble appologies if I've got that totally wrong) Perhaps if anybody who's found this cache in the past and lives locally could check it out... ?

John

Wild Tupperware Hunter

It is a very hard cache - though it might have been washed away.

Bear rescues a speciality!

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

quote:
May I risk the wrath of all and suggest that This Cache is a prime candidate for archiving. It appears to have gone missing. The cache owners, who have only hidden and found one cache, both in April last year don't appear to be very active. (My humble appologies if I've got that totally wrong) Perhaps if anybody who's found this cache in the past and lives locally could check it out... ?

Also being a failure to this caches arms I would go with what Pharisee said because the whole vacinity was under some 10 foot sof water. Absolutly certainty that inless it was high up it was under water when we were there...I think its down there with Jack and the Titanic at the bottom of the ocean icon_smile.gif what joy.

--------------------------------------------------------

One ring to rule them all, One ring to find them, One ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them!

www.buckscaching.co.uk

quote:

May I risk the wrath of all and suggest that http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=18451 is a prime candidate for archiving. It appears to have gone missing.

Ok, I've taken a look at this one. As all the failures are fairly recent (within the last month) and the cache owner hasn't logged on since before Christmas.

I have sent them an e-mail asking them whether they can confirm that it is still there, as concern has been expressed, but it is reasonable to think that they could be on holiday, or haven't been able to check the cache in the week or two since the reports were made.

If we don't get a response within a couple of weeks we'll sort it out then.

Regards,

Richard

quote:
Originally posted by The Good Shepherds:

If you're taking nominations, then we've got a long-held grudge against GCAA2 icon_razz.gif

(Hasn't been found for over a year, owner's e-mail address no longer valid)

I've taken a look at the cache, and since there has been no finds since last January, I have e-mailed Jason and archived the cache.

Jason has just replied and said that he checked it 4 weeks ago and it was still there. Looks like some more searching is in order. icon_biggrin.gif (I'm rather glad it is still there as it is one of the older UK caches still active.)

I have also heard from the owner of the other cache mentioned, Pinchmill Puzzle. He hasn't had a chance to check it recently, but has said he will do so in the next couple of weeks.

Richard

[This message was edited by Richard & Beth on January 28, 2003 at 02:04 PM.]

quote:
Jason has just replied and said that he checked it 4 weeks ago and it was still there. Looks like some more searching is in order. icon_biggrin.gif (I'm rather glad it is still there as it is one of the older UK caches still active.)

Rats! That means we *have* to go back... icon_wink.gif

(mind you, it would be nice if cache owners would update the cache pages to confirm that all is well when there's a long string of no-finds!)

quote:

Another reason is that that one (obelisk) is not on my front page (its miles away) so doesn't show up on my radar screen every time I log on, whereas yours did and I wanted to be rid of it.

With all due respect, this argument isn't really a very good one.

Rich

mobilis in mobili

quote:
Originally posted by Richard & Beth:

I have also heard from the owner of the other cache mentioned, Pinchmill Puzzle. He hasn't had a chance to check it recently, but has said he will do so in the next couple of weeks.

That's good news and I really hope it's still there. It's a cracking location and I'd love a reason to go back (apart from just for the hell of it) icon_smile.gif

John

Wild Tupperware Hunter

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

With all due respect, this argument isn't really a very good one.

Rich

_mobilis in mobili_

Sorry about that. I was trying to think of reasons why the cache would be more prominent in my mind than Obelisk, and this is just one small reason. I did give other reasons as well.... icon_wink.gif

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

quote:

May I risk the wrath of all and suggest that http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=18451 is a prime candidate for archiving. It appears to have gone missing.

I only did this one a month or so ago, and it is high enough to avoid all but the most biblical of floods. I will try and get up there in the next couple of days if it will help.

quote:
Originally posted by Tim & June:

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works, but that would be contrary to the guidelines which say that virtual caches can only be used where the location cannot support a traditional cache.

Oh well it was just a thought.

On the 12th. Jan of this year I re-visited a cache in Keilder forest to move a bug on that had been there a few months and I went via the forest toll road at Byness, I pulled into GCAA2 to have a tea stop, I went up to the hidy hole and could just see the cache box, But I never removed it to check it, so its still there, I hadn't been reading the logs on that cache for a long time, so I never gave it a thought to log a note on the page. Most of the time I just let the cache owner know by email.

Nige

quote:
Originally posted by The Merman:

The cache you talk about is in fact a locationless cache, I have emailed you the details to save explaining it here.

For anyone else it is Beach Hut Hunt by Amy and Adams Dad

I'm glad you said that, 'cos I can only find one archived virtual cache in Hampshire, and it didn't look like the one.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but, as supected by both Pid and the Pharisee, this cache is now gone and should be either replaced or archived.

I went up there today to check it out and it ain't where it was a month ago, and no signs of remains in the locality.

It was f*****g freezing, blowing a gale and snowing a blizzard. So yes I do actually want a ruddy medal icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

It was f*****g freezing,

I dont think thats the sort of words to use on a forum like ours, what about the younger ones that view this forum, and newcomers to the hobby, a great example , Call me old fashioned if you like

But I would keep that type of Language to myself , this is not the place

Nige

quote:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but, as supected by both Pid and the Pharisee, this cache is now gone and should be either replaced or archived.

Thanks for the effort, 10 to 12, Didn't think I'd missed it but no ones infallible, not even me icon_biggrin.gif

John

Wild Tupperware Hunter

quote:
Originally posted by The Northumbrian:

I dont think thats the sort of words to use on a forum like ours, what about the younger ones that view this forum, and newcomers to the hobby, a great example , Call me old fashioned if you like

Well I had the word "flaming" in mind (count the asterisks if you like)

Why, what did you think I meant? icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

quote:
Originally posted by Motley Crew:

Hi everyone.

Hi Motley Crew! Welcome aboard.

I live just up the road from you icon_biggrin.gif

Rich

_mobilis in mobili_

Hi el10t! We are indeed just down the road from you - just east of Peak Lane in fact icon_razz.gif.

motley. adj. varied in appearance or character.

crew. n. group of people.

This could be another candidate for archiving. Noone has found it since last september and myself and one other cacher have both discovered the same thing: namely that the some of the crucial details hinted at (in the hint) do not appear to exist any more. For example, (theoretical) suppose the hint said something like under the paving slab by the gate and you get there and find the gate, but there is no paving slab, then its pretty obvious there is no cache any more because whoever moved the paving slab obviously found the cache and took it away.

Well thats the sort of thing that seems to have happened here.

This could be another candidate for archiving. Noone has found it since last september and myself and one other cacher have both discovered the same thing: namely that the some of the crucial details hinted at (in the hint) do not appear to exist any more. For example, (theoretical) suppose the hint said something like _under the paving slab by the gate_ and you get there and find the gate, but there is no paving slab, then its pretty obvious there is no cache any more because whoever moved the paving slab obviously found the cache and took it away.

Well thats the sort of thing that seems to have happened here.

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....[/quote

If ever you need a name change, The Archiver sounds good icon_biggrin.gif

Nige

quote:
Originally posted by The Northumbrian:

If ever you need a name change, The Archiver sounds good icon_biggrin.gif

Nige

I really LIKE that suggestion! icon_smile.gif