Cache Congestion Charge

?

I was simply answering your direct question. Pedantic old me.

a) Caches are already prevented from being closer than 0.1 miles (which is still too close IMHO, maybe 0.5 miles or more is better).

:o Caches are placed where cachers are (to an approximation.

c) How would your system work? If there are too many in Buckinghamshire, more have to be placed in Scotland? You expetc people to drive to Scotland to palce caches so they can increase their nearby quota? It would drive people to other site and other games (I refuse to call this a sport, but that's another debate). A main idea of this game is that the rules are free and easy. If we start imposing draconian rules then I, for one, will go. It's just not fun to have to obey rules when setting caches (yes, I know we have rules, but they are sensible, concerning environmental issues).

Sure, it's annoying to have no nearby caches, and for those obsessed with numbers, it's annoying that those people in the Beds/Bucks/London/south area have so many nearby, but such is life. If there aren't enough caches in your area, place some. That's what I did - look at the complete lack of caches north of Cambridge for about 40 miles. It's something I (and Wronskian) plan to remedy. This game is about give and take. So place more caches!

--

**Mother is the name of God on the lips of all children**

quote:
c) How would your system work? If there are too many in Buckinghamshire, more have to be placed in Scotland? You expetc people to drive to Scotland to palce caches so they can increase their nearby quota? It would drive people to other site and other games (I refuse to call this a sport, but that's another debate). A main idea of this game is that the rules are free and easy. If we start imposing draconian rules then I, for one, will go. It's just not fun to have to obey rules when setting caches (yes, I know we have rules, but they are sensible, concerning environmental issues).

I think this is how it could work, if you want to place in a congested area then the "charge" is that instead of placing in that area you post (by mail) your cache to a cacher in an area that is uncongested to place on your behalf. The cache is to all intents and purpose your cache it is just in an area you normally wouldnt be able to place one.

Sounds interesting, possibly as a one off but I can't see this one taking off, for the reason that where a person places a cache is very personal to them. I spend hours searching for locations to place mine and the thought of someone else placing it for me just wouldn't appeal (it may to others, just my view). In my opinion as long as caches are being placed in locations of high quality, I don't mind how many appear (to a point!). I'm not sure what the area you live in is like but there are 52 in Buckinghamshire currently, and you would struggle to find 3 that aren't placed in interesting locations which would most definetly be enjoyed. I'm very proud of some of ours and if I stumble across more locations of the same calibre I won’t hesitate to place more, again just my view icon_smile.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Its just a hunt for a lunch box, why be so serious!?! badgerslayer.gif

Dan Wilson - www.Buckscaching.co.uk

Some of you may remember last week that I mentioned a congestion charge in the south, this was meant as a light hearted joke about Londons traffic congestion charges, so This thing ? is taking the mickey out of what I wrote. So dont take the bait, he'e trying to wind us up

[This message was edited by The Northumbrian on February 20, 2003 at 10:28 AM.]

quote:
Some of you may remember last week that I mentioned a congestion charge in the south, this was meant as a light hearted joke about Londons traffic congestion charges, so This thing ? is taking the mickey out of what I wrote. So dont take the bait, he'e trying to wind us up

I hadnt actually read your thread on Congestion as interesting and amusing as it may have been. This was a genuine attempt (with a light hearted and topical subject matter re: congestion charges) to look at the disproportionate cache population of the UK.

Oh goody I get to do some Markwelling. This has been discussed before here

In order to play by the rules - you need to be able to visit the cache to maintain it. Also the whole point of planting a cache is to say "This is a nice place - come and visit it". How can you do that in an area of the country you don't know?

(Sorry Nige - I bit)

Chris

Bear rescues a speciality!

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

quote:
Originally posted by ?:

I think this is how it could work, if you want to place in a congested area then the "charge" is that instead of placing in that area you post (by mail) your cache to a cacher in an area that is uncongested to place on your behalf. The cache is to all intents and purpose your cache it is just in an area you normally wouldnt be able to place one.

Wouldn't we get into the strange situation where the 'cache owner' could legitimately go and search for his own cache and log it as a find because he wouldn't know where it was planted any more that any other cacher. The guy who planted it, while not being the cache owner, wouldn't be able to log it as a find because he already knows where it is. If you get my drift icon_razz.gif

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.