Magnetic or True ??

Finger

What has everybody found as the preffered (Best or correct) setting for the Garmin eTtrex range.

What is the difference in distance between the 2 settings and how much distance does the last didgit refer to ??

Regards,

Finger

(UK Charter Member)

quote:
Originally posted by Finger:

What has everybody found as the preffered (Best or correct) setting for the Garmin eTtrex range.

I have tended to keep mine on Grid, especially when the GPS is being run in OSGB co-ordinates. Aside from that I don't change it, unless there is a cache such as SP1 that requires a waypoint to be projected in a specific direction.

Richard

Depends on what you're using it with....

If it's in conjunction with a traditional compass, then magnetic makes sense.

If it's with a map then grid or true makes sense (depending on the map)

If you're Moss Trooper you'll have a mental map of the variance in magnetic declination across the globe (correct to within 0.5 degrees) and you'll set it to true just to prove a point icon_biggrin.gif

6279_200.jpg

Depends on what you're using it with....

If it's in conjunction with a traditional compass, then magnetic makes sense.

If it's with a map then grid or true makes sense (depending on the map)

If you're Moss Trooper you'll have a mental map of the variance in magnetic declination across the globe (correct to within 0.5 degrees) and you'll set it to true just to prove a point icon_biggrin.gif

6279_200.jpg

Thanks for your comments , BUT (Why is there always a but ??)

With Magnetic & True I get slightly different lat & long readings. Garmin have told me that this is normal & correct, But what does everyone use for Geocaching as I want to give as accurate as posible location.

Regards,

Finger

(UK Charter Member)

I was browsing the Garmin web site looking for the 2.26 firmware upgrade and I stumbled upon the Vista specification. The stated accuracy of the magnetic compass is ±5 degrees. If I remember correctly, mag north is about 4 degrees away from true North in this neck of the globe. This pretty much makes it irrelevant which one you use. I've left mine set to the default of true North.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.