A cure for cacher's block

I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking about placing my first cache. Following the example of others I've found, I want to make it a good one -e.g. near an interesting landmark, or a superb view - a tricky prospect around Basingstoke icon_smile.gif.

This made me wonder - how do you get your inspiration for new caches? Local walks? Guidebooks? Chicken entrails?

[This message was edited by The Baron of Basingstoke on March 18, 2002 at 03:23 PM.]

I suppose usually it will be places that you have been and would think that other people might like to go.

If you can have people saying, "Well, I never knew that place was there", then you have achieved your goal.

From a personal point of view, don't hide a cache in a forest. I've seen far too many trees in the past week. icon_smile.gif

Alex.

I'm ashamed to say I've only placed one cache so far mostly down to time restraints but also other cachers in my area beating me to it. I chose my cache because it's ten minutes walk away, it has lovely views of the countryside, it was an area that I had a personal involvement in i.e. I helped save it from developers and finally, at the time, the next nearest cache was 8 miles away. My own difficulty in chosing my next site is that apart from it being in a nice country environment is that I can easily maintain it.

Thanks for the replies so far. One of the reasons I posted the question was that I did the 'Hungerford Colston' cache in Somerset last weekend. The monument nearby was in the middle of woods, really off the beaten track and very interesting in its own right. Like Scotty, I really want to place a cache somewhere obscure or forgotten but interesting - like 'Hungerford Colston'. I was wondering how people go about discovering these other than finding them on walks (which I agree is a fine method). I would never have found 'Hungerford Colston' in a million years just by walking alone.