Island Race

Well EVERYONE. Me and Pid have begun work on our latest Caching Project. This Will consist of 9 Caches spanning the length of Britain from Lands End to John O'Groats.

This Will be up and running in Roughly 1-2 Months while we plant caches and plan etc.

The Cache is to be named 'Island Race' this is because it spans the whole length of the UK and because we are hoping to organise a 'race' to celebrate its opening.

What we want to know right now is if anyone would be interested in competing.

This would be a non profit making event for us. Anyone entering would pay an amount at the start and the winner (The first to reach the final cache with an object obtained from all the 9 caches) would take the pot (everyones entry fees).

Obviously we would need around 10 groups to make it worth while so if this has got your attention leave a reply or email me: Danadamsa1@hotmail.com

I look forward to hearing from you all!

cheers, Dan icon_wink.gif

Dan Wilson (Team Dan and Pid)

Nice idea - one suggestion though, could it be a slightly smaller island ?

On a similar theme, rather than get 10 teams to trek the length and breadth of the UK how about some relay teams instead (althought thats probably how it will end up).

That way each team would consist of e.g. 5 cachers, each one covering certain areas that they are close to already (South West, South, Midlands etc etc) They would then have to grab an item from each cache, pass it onto the next member who'd collect and item from their area, pass both on and yada yada yada till the end. Would make a good teamwork exercise as well

Just a thought, as the idea of covering Lands End to John O Groats by road is a bit daunting and a bloody long way to boot. icon_smile.gif

OK Peeps.

Assuming that I am willing to drive 2000 miles to do this cache.. does this mean that I can still clock the lot if I divvint pay me money..

Seriously.. 2000 miles is a hell of a round trip for most folks.. remember they have to start from home an get back to home..

You have to get enough folks interested to make it viable to yourselves.. is OK shelling out but if the return isn't there..

Don't get me wrong.. I emplore your enthusiasim but don't get carried away with too much too soon.

Remember.. We are a young sport/hobby... We are just in the throws of getting localised events together.. wetther caching or social.

To try and organise a National event that involves three countries could lead to several problems.. and when you are asking for money to fund the prize.. There could be legal implications also..

Belive me when I say I may be an ole stick in the mud.. but this is about protecting you as well as others..

Just make sure you do not end up in a situation..

Apart from that hope it works out.

Moss de Boss... Sorta

The idea sounds great to me, but it sounds as if you are looking for geocachers to complete within one excursion. Why not set it up so that it can be completed within a time span that fits most people. i.e. this cache could take a year to complete.

On a personal note I am not interested in competing for a prize, I have no need to compete with others I just like a challenge.

I am presently working through the Cluedo Cache series when I have a spare lunch break and within the specific area – at the rate I am going it will take me till September

Of course this would mean bringing onboard other geocachers with local knowledge and to look after specific locations for you.

As for me if I can help with the project I will, when its set-up give me a while to complete it

David

Well well well, it sounds like everyone has the wrong end of the stick a bit. This isnt supposed to be a massiv competition where everyones getting dirty to win prizes.

Firstly this cache isnt a one off it will remain after for anyone to do in as much time as they like so for the person that suggested that i make it so you can do it at your own pace, you can.

Now... The idea of this race: I want to get some people together who DO want the challenge of doing this cache in a time limit. If doing a 1600 mile round trip in 2 days isnt what you want to do i certainly cant force you into it can i icon_smile.gif again may i say this race is for people who would want to compete!

Now for the money side of things: firstly let me state me and Pid arnt doing this for a profit, we will get NOTHING and we will be spending more than anyone on setting it up etc. I suggested everyone pay an 'entry fee' because without a little bonus for the first to finnish there would be no point atall really, no one would want to bother. Im pretty sure that if 10 groups turned out and gave us a tenner each with the winner getting the pot, we wouldnt be breaking any laws? (please correct me if wrong but if no one makes a profit is there a problem?)

My suggestion is that anyone who is really up for something like this (2 days caching, while seeing 9 of the most well known and interesting places in the uk) gets in touch with me and we can sort it out.

Without trying to sound too centimental, It would be a real challenge, something to be proud of and to look back on in a few years time. Ive only just started caching and i have to say im pretty much addicted, something like this could only be good for the sport!

Maybe i'm being stupid but i know if someone else had come up with the idea me and pid would be first to reply.

Finally let me say again its upto you if you want to do this, so there no point in replying on behalf of others saying it isnt a good idea.

Anyone who wants to do this get in touch now! icon_smile.gif

Cheers, Dan

Dan Wilson (Team Dan and Pid)

[This message was edited by Dan Wilson on April 09, 2002 at 07:03 PM.]

[This message was edited by Dan Wilson on April 09, 2002 at 07:05 PM.]