Geocaching Approval Template?

Hello - 

Approaching 200 finds and wanted to give back to the game that's given us enjoyment.  Wanted to hide our first cache - a simple one - and following all the guidelines is important to me.  Does anyone have a general template they use when looking to receive approval from the person/city/company that owns the land?  What information do you normally include, assuming the owner has never heard about Geocaching?

I didn't want to recreate the wheel if someone has a template that's worked for them on a regular basis when hiding a GC.

Thank you!

It will depend on what kind of property you are seeking permission for. Many large agencies in my state, like the state park and national forest systems already have well-established procedures and rules. Other times, you'll have trouble even finding someone to talk to. I tried to get permission for two caches recently, one on city property and one on county property. It has been more than a month and neither have responded, nor will they respond. 

I usually explain that I will be storing a container on the property for an extended period of time, summarize the container type, location, and contents. Tell the landowner how many visitors to expect based on nearby caches, and maybe link to the geocaching introductory material online here - https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=114&pgid=629

I am very seldom given permission unless a member of my state's geocaching association has already done the legwork to get the agency on board, or its a private owner I know personally. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, TheLimeCat said:

It will depend on what kind of property you are seeking permission for. Many large agencies in my state, like the state park and national forest systems already have well-established procedures and rules. Other times, you'll have trouble even finding someone to talk to. I tried to get permission for two caches recently, one on city property and one on county property. It has been more than a month and neither have responded, nor will they respond. 

I usually explain that I will be storing a container on the property for an extended period of time, summarize the container type, location, and contents. Tell the landowner how many visitors to expect based on nearby caches, and maybe link to the geocaching introductory material online here - https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=114&pgid=629

I am very seldom given permission unless a member of my state's geocaching association has already done the legwork to get the agency on board, or its a private owner I know personally. 

This is helpful - thank you!  I will emulate what you provide, everything seems reasonable and concise.  I was thinking about placing my first cache in a small city park, so most likely I would be requesting permission from the city.  My yet unrealized fear is running into the same thing you have - unresponsiveness.  I also see caches placed in city areas all the time, so either the city ends up responding at some point, or the CO places the cache without proper authorization.  

Thank you again, super helpful!

2 hours ago, Om_and_Nom said:

This is helpful - thank you!  I will emulate what you provide, everything seems reasonable and concise.  I was thinking about placing my first cache in a small city park, so most likely I would be requesting permission from the city.  My yet unrealized fear is running into the same thing you have - unresponsiveness.  I also see caches placed in city areas all the time, so either the city ends up responding at some point, or the CO places the cache without proper authorization.  

Thank you again, super helpful!

I brought my little match tube to the city Welcome Center in my town, in person, to ask if I could place it in the small city park.  They were all very excited about the idea!  Way more excitement than I expected a match tube to create.  I strapped it to a tree limb, and it worked well until 6 months later when landscapers cut that limb off.

I previously went in person to the county parks office with a map, pamphlet, and the cache container.  No problem.

• Upvote 2
12 hours ago, Om_and_Nom said:

I was thinking about placing my first cache in a small city park, so most likely I would be requesting permission from the city.  My yet unrealized fear is running into the same thing you have - unresponsiveness.  I also see caches placed in city areas all the time, so either the city ends up responding at some point, or the CO places the cache without proper authorization.  

If it's a smaller park, maybe worth while talking to the local staff in the park first.

They will either say yes, or pass you on to someone higher in authority.

It's worth the local staff knowing the cache is there, stops them removing it as 'rubbish' although as was said above, doesn't always work!