How to prevent crash of cartridge on WhereYouGo app

Spoekie

Yesterday my first Wherigo is published: The Garden of Earthly Delights, based on the Dutch painter Jheronimus Bosch and the physical walk is in his hometown.

After a long period of testing on the emulator and on different iPhone and Android devices in the field, I notice that the cartridged still crashes sometimes when playing on Android systems.

The Wherigo is programmed using Urwigo.

The cartridge runs smoothly on all tested iPhones. 

I learned that the following issues can cause problems (on Android):

- Keeping too many zones active. Solution: max. 7 zones active

- Using images in .png format can cause a crash on some Android devices when a dialog is opened with a character of this image. Solution: use only .jpg pictures.

- Setting a flag variable on the Exit event of a zone sometimes just does not work. Solution: repeat the set command at the On Enter event of the next zone can prevent this problem

- I have a 'give' command which does different things dependent on which zone the player is. Using an IF statement with Compare currentzone='Name of Zone' sometimes does not work although you can see that the player is in the zone. This is something which I still do not understand, I have not solution for this.

I expected that solving these issues would stop the crashes. But unfortunately, I still get messages from people who report that the cartridge crashes sometimes on a location which seems to be random to me.

Do you know what other reasons can cause a crash?

How can I find out what the root cause is of such a crash?

Edited by Spoekie

Thanks for your reply. In the meantime, about 20 people have played the cartridge on different iPhones with the Wherigo app and on Android with both the WhereYouGo app and with Geoooh Go's. On the iPhone, no problems have been reported. 

On Android: Geooh Go's seems to work fine, but most players prefer the WhereYouGo app for some reason (maybe because it is free?) and here many crashes have been reported.

Anyhow, players will self choose which app they are using. So I think it should work also on the WhereYouGo app.

I am now rewriting the code to make it more stable. Also, a workaround solution will be included where you can start the cartridge with a new game with a certain code you receive during the game.

Edited by Spoekie