Is it possible to create a tour by placing geocaches (containers) in a trail and within the minimum distance?

CharliePossik

Can someone create e.g. 7 geocaches (containers) in a 1.5 distance that will be connected to each other, for example in a trail? Can he put for instance, narrative segments, and tasks (such as utilizing river measuring organology such as using a hidden ph meter to measure ph of water and then keep a note on the log, or measure temperature of the water, or whatever task, along with reading a story and trying to get to the final resolution of the experience)? What type of geocaches would they be? And can anyone create them and place them or must someone be a premium member? Finally, those are not premium geocachers, will be able to find the first geocache, so as to then proceed to the next one and so on, or anyway all the set of geocaches or must they be premium members? As part of my phd, my objective is to empower teams in 3 small towns near my homeland to design their own experiences that utilize crowdsourcing apps such as inaturalist, and organology for river monitoring while promoting the cultural heritage of their place through crafting narratives that combining local legends with museum artifacts, and therefore creating their own unique geocaches that will be connected to each other to guide a geocacher or geocachers to a final resolution. This way I believe that geocaching can work as great tool for environmental education and heritage education as well, with elements of citizen science. A series of training workshops will preceed the development of the tours by the teams. Finally, if anyone could guide me regarding any costs applied regarding the specific type of membership if applicable, or about prerequisitives regarding the geocaches, etc. As I am at the stage of the proposal of my idea for funding and I should involve expenses in the budget, I would be grateful if anyone could help! Thank you and happy new year!

This is a complex proposal, so hopefully the community can unpack each question.  I'll start.

1. Each cache needs to end with a physical logbook for visitors to sign, and any other tasks (like taking ph or temperature measurements, and/or using a crowdsourcing app to record data) would be an optional activity.
  2. To be published on Geocaching.com, each cache needs to be generally available to all geocachers and not just to teams who attend a training workshop.
  3. If each cache on the tour is set up separately by different geocachers, all physical elements of each cache must be at least .1 miles (161 metres) away from all physical elements of other caches (including existing geocaches in addition to those created for your tour).
  4. Within a single multi-cache, physical elements of the cache can be less than .1 miles apart from each other, but must still be .1 miles from any other cache.  Virtual stages of multi-caches are not subject to the cache saturation guideline (like "go here and read this sign, then use information to determine the coordinates for the next stage").
  5. If there are a number of separate geocaches that lead to a "final resolution," then that "final" sounds like a Bonus Cache, which would be the Mystery Cache type.
  6. Other cache types possibly available for your project include a Virtual Cache (which are rarely awarded), an Earthcache (which must be focused solely on teaching a geology-related question) or an Adventure Lab.  Adventures can be either public or private, and you would need to have one or more credits available to create one.  See the Adventure Lab guidance in the Help Center.
  7. With the exception of Virtual Caches, any geocaching account can create a cache --  premium membership is not a requirement to hide caches.
  8. Whether a Basic Member can find the caches hidden for the project will depend on a number of factors, including whether they're using a GPS or a Smartphone app.  If using a Smartphone app, then direct accessibility will depend on what app is being used and, if using the official Geocaching apps, also the cache type and its D/T rating.  If using a GPS, any geocacher can find the cache using the information from the Geocaching.com website.
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3

If what the OP is describing is a desire to create an official GeoTour, that would definitely be relevant right now at the funding proposal stage.  There is a material cost involved in setting up one of these.

An unofficial GeoTrail does not have the special benefits of an official GeoTour, and is just a matter of submitting the caches and complying with the Geocache Hiding Guidelines.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
On 1/6/2024 at 5:18 AM, Keystone said:

If what the OP is describing is a desire to create an official GeoTour, that would definitely be relevant right now at the funding proposal stage.  There is a material cost involved in setting up one of these.

An unofficial GeoTrail does not have the special benefits of an official GeoTour, and is just a matter of submitting the caches and complying with the Geocache Hiding Guidelines.

Thanks, but I don't know what that material costs can be and please bear in mind that for example one team collaboratively create their geocaches and placed within the minimum distance required, and what I would like to know is whether then a simple member of Geoaching can find the geocaches. Finally, when I go to official Geo Tour there is a form only to somehow request that someone else develop such an experience, but what I would like to know at this stage is if there is someone I could talk to, to inform me of all the material cost involved, in supervising perhaps and in creating a Geotour but this Geotour will be created by citizens that will receive a training on the basics of geocaching as a part of a research program. In other words, I am asking if it is possible for a team of people to create a Geotour, with the aforementioned components that every geocacher can enjoy and what breakdown of costs might be involved so I can include them in the corresponding category, along with any extra training or supervision by a Geocache expert.

On 1/6/2024 at 12:33 AM, Keystone said:

This is a complex proposal, so hopefully the community can unpack each question.  I'll start.

1. Each cache needs to end with a physical logbook for visitors to sign, and any other tasks (like taking ph or temperature measurements, and/or using a crowdsourcing app to record data) would be an optional activity.
  2. To be published on Geocaching.com, each cache needs to be generally available to all geocachers and not just to teams who attend a training workshop.
  3. If each cache on the tour is set up separately by different geocachers, all physical elements of each cache must be at least .1 miles (161 metres) away from all physical elements of other caches (including existing geocaches in addition to those created for your tour).
  4. Within a single multi-cache, physical elements of the cache can be less than .1 miles apart from each other, but must still be .1 miles from any other cache.  Virtual stages of multi-caches are not subject to the cache saturation guideline (like "go here and read this sign, then use information to determine the coordinates for the next stage").
  5. If there are a number of separate geocaches that lead to a "final resolution," then that "final" sounds like a Bonus Cache, which would be the Mystery Cache type.
  6. Other cache types possibly available for your project include a Virtual Cache (which are rarely awarded), an Earthcache (which must be focused solely on teaching a geology-related question) or an Adventure Lab.  Adventures can be either public or private, and you would need to have one or more credits available to create one.  See the Adventure Lab guidance in the Help Center.
  7. With the exception of Virtual Caches, any geocaching account can create a cache --  premium membership is not a requirement to hide caches.
  8. Whether a Basic Member can find the caches hidden for the project will depend on a number of factors, including whether they're using a GPS or a Smartphone app.  If using a Smartphone app, then direct accessibility will depend on what app is being used and, if using the official Geocaching apps, also the cache type and its D/T rating.  If using a GPS, any geocacher can find the cache using the information from the Geocaching.com website.

Hi there and thanks for replying.
Well, 1. Ok the team will craft a geocache, and a container where there is a log, and all the other elements descibed and surely a geocacher is free to decide whether to conduct a measurement of course or read a narrative segment or solve a riddle that is in the container.
         2. The geocache will be designed and placed by a team, and the aim is that everyone has access to it, for sure.
         3. It's not necessary to be a different geocacher that places the geocaches, and we are aware of the distance prerequesitive.
         4. I don't understand that point. Is multi-cache a type of geocache like the idea I am proposing? In my idea each cache will have some components in the container. Anyhow,                         please clarify because this is something that may help.
         5. This point sounds also important, I searched in the geocaching to see what a Bonus Cache is but I couldn't figure it out. I hope that so far you understand the idea. One geocache that has information, volunteering tasks, will lead the geocacher to the next until the final resolution.
        6. Ok I ve sent to them.

7. Well I am not sure if my idea is even applicable until I m full informed.

3 hours ago, CharliePossik said:

Finally, when I go to official Geo Tour there is a form only to somehow request that someone else develop such an experience, but what I would like to know at this stage is if there is someone I could talk to, to inform me of all the material cost involved, in supervising perhaps and in creating a Geotour but this Geotour will be created by citizens that will receive a training on the basics of geocaching as a part of a research program.

You need to start a discussion with the employee at Geocaching HQ who runs the GeoTours program, working with land managers, tourism groups, etc. around the world.  Begin that discussion by calling the phone number listed on the page I linked you to in my previous post, or by writing to Geocaching HQ via the Help Center.  Select item 10, "Business Partnerships," and then "GeoTours: a blend of tourism and adventure," as the category for your request, so that it routes to the correct person.

Am I understanding correctly the intent is for someone who is new to geocaching (OP) is going conduct a workshop training teams of brand new geocachers to place multiple caches? And the caches are intended to be interconnected?

It sounds like it would be a good idea to get some experienced geocachers involved so it's not the blind leading the blind.

There needs to be a clear understanding about who on each team is responsible for maintaining the cache they've placed so they're not "place it and forget it" like many caches placed by scouts for merit badges.

The underlying concept of a series of geocaches showing how the different ways geocaching can be a learning tool does sound like a good idea. The ph monitor could be incorporated into an Earthcache, assuming the monitor exists independently of the Earthcache. Other caches could take people to locations related to local legends (preferably while teaching the real history behind the myths) or historic sites in the area.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Am I understanding correctly the intent is for someone who is new to geocaching (OP) is going conduct a workshop training teams of brand new geocachers to place multiple caches? And the caches are intended to be interconnected?

It sounds like it would be a good idea to get some experienced geocachers involved so it's not the blind leading the blind.

There needs to be a clear understanding about who on each team is responsible for maintaining the cache they've placed so they're not "place it and forget it" like many caches placed by scouts for merit badges.

The underlying concept of a series of geocaches showing how the different ways geocaching can be a learning tool does sound like a good idea. The ph monitor could be incorporated into an Earthcache, assuming the monitor exists independently of the Earthcache. Other caches could take people to locations related to local legends (preferably while teaching the real history behind the myths) or historic sites in the area.

Exactly!! So you propose that we include an experienced geocacher per team, that sounds reasonable and actually great idea! Your second point is also great and it has to do with responsibility. Now, regarding to the "Underlying concept...." Well my idea is that a series of tasks can be carried out volitionally (if it makes sense) for the sake of the whole experience, and complementary to an encounter with a geocache. I appreciate your interest and comments and I would happy if I could have an experienced geocacher supervising each one of the potential 4 teams. My idea, among other things, is to take advantage of the possibility that geocaching offers for facilitating a kind of contributory exploration (in this case in terms of river monitoring, record ph as you said, keep a note on the log put it back and carry on with the adventure, or other types such as contribute your observations to iNaturalist project in the area) through that advantage of shaping "remotely" but in a technological and most importantly physical and tangible way, a task, an instruction. Very useful your points indeed, thank you!

• Upvote 1