Trackable heading to Sydney, Australia from the Hunter region.

kcreek88

Hi! 
I am new to these discussion boards so bear with me. I currently have a trackable in my inventory which I had kept a little longer than you are meant to because I am heading to Sydney, Australia next weekend. The trackable has been stuck in my region (2 hours north in Newcastle) for roughly about a year. I think it deserves to see other places as I don't want it to be stuck like it was early on in its journey where it kept going back to Germany for a few years even though it visited other countries with the people who found it

I am heading to Sydney and placing it in a cache near Taronga Zoo as I am heading there for my Mum's birthday. I am just wondering if that is the best plan for this little travel bug because I would like to see it move on from the Hunter region instead of just jumping from cache to cache here. Even though it has been to Sydney briefly. I presume it's more likely to be found by international geocachers and ones from out of state? Any tips? Do you think it is a good plan?  I have kept the logs up to date mentioning to the owner of my plan of dropping it off in Sydney. He also picked up an Aussie hitchhiker friend when we visited my friend SLElliott 

Forgot to mention its goal is "To travel the world and go on different adventures". It was originally from Wisconsin, United States and has been travelling since 2012. 

Couldn't have flipped the Trackable's code around before the pic?   

We had a few Trackables go missing within a week after placing it in a cache, so thought we'd try another area, and mailed a promotion Trackable to a Cacher in Australia for International Friendship Day (who wasn't in the promotion even though the company [IIRC] was from there) to see if it'd last longer.

It was Dropped in a cache in September '22, lasted twenty days in Australia, and Retrieved by a German cacher who took it to Germany with them.

"Visited" a few times by others, and now supposedly sitting in the same cache since January '23...

So, location doesn't matter.  It's all luck of the draw.  Maybe being "stuck in your region for roughly a year" wasn't such a bad thing...

On 11/25/2023 at 4:25 AM, cerberus1 said:

Couldn't have flipped the Trackable's code around before the pic?   

We had a few Trackables go missing within a week after placing it in a cache, so thought we'd try another area, and mailed a promotion Trackable to a Cacher in Australia for International Friendship Day (who wasn't in the promotion even though the company [IIRC] was from there) to see if it'd last longer.

It was Dropped in a cache in September '22, lasted twenty days in Australia, and Retrieved by a German cacher who took it to Germany with them.

"Visited" a few times by others, and now supposedly sitting in the same cache since January '23...

So, location doesn't matter.  It's all luck of the draw.  Maybe being "stuck in your region for roughly a year" wasn't such a bad thing...

I am extremely new to the game and forgot to flip the code around before the pic, I am sorry about that one. Also, I am still learning about trackables and trying to find the best way to move them on. I do have a trip to Sydney next weekend, hence my question. I have heard of trackables going missing so that's why I wanted to prepare where I put this little guy next because it has been travelling for a number of years and it be great if it could to a new place or back home to the USA. So when I knew I had the trip, I thought it would be a good place to take the trackable because Sydney is more likely to get international and interstate geocachers visiting the area especially because I will be in more tourist areas. 

I ended up taking the travel bug with me to the zoo trip. I had a cache in mind but, I struggled to find it. It was the end of the day when I went looking for the cache and I still had several hours of travelling by myself home on some different forms of public transport so I ended up DNFing the cache (the worst thing was I had messaged the person who found it before me and got the message reply after I left).

I ended up squeezing it into a smaller cache not far from the train station which I was annoyed about because I had to take off his hitchhiking friend to squeeze it in but I am happy that someone found TB the next day and took it with them to a few Sydney caches so far. The cache I DNF was also found the next day so it was my anxiety that got to me in the situation especially when after I read how close I was to it. The trackable in that particular cache was retrieved from the cache by a person who loves helping trackables so that's good.  I am just happy that the TB I had, has moved on now in Sydney and I can't wait to see where it ends up next. 

Also, I have my first two trackables now out there in caches waiting to be found (it's only been a week) and moved on so I wonder how they will go with their missions. 

Edited by kcreek88
Forgot some information.