What Does the Wireless Beacon Attribute Mean?

2 hours ago, alpinerabbit said:

I have always wondered what the wireless beacon attribute means. Can someone explain? What would I need to have with my cache to include the attribute?

The wireless beacon refers to a product that was made by Garmin called a "chirp" that would transmit a message containing final coordinates to a compatible device. It used a battery and the Ant+ protocol. The battery would last "up to a year."   I do not believe that Garmin still sells them.  As a finder, if there is a beacon indicator on the cache and the owner has not performed maintenance in over a year, forget it.  The battery is dead.

I suppose the attribute could be used for a wifi hot spot or even bluetooth. RFID doesn't really fit the definition, but there are probably some that are out there.  Read the description to get more details.  Unless I know that it is well-maintained, I steer clear.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2

RFID can use the attribute, for sure. You'd need to have a device that can receive a wireless signal; that is a good way to think of it. I've even seen that attribute used for radio-tuning geocaches. I think it's an appropriate definition today, while it used to really only represent the chirp requirement. Lots of applications today.

• Upvote 1