Gift Membership on Legacy Premium Member Account

Albedo_0.39

33 minutes ago, Albedo_0.39 said:

Can I extend my current legacy premium membership for an additional year by using a gift membership given to me and not lose legacy member status?  Understand I have to Stop Recurring Membership to use/activate gift membership card.

I would think so! I often renew with a gift card. By gift membership do you mean a gift card?

I just renewed my membership with a gift card. It was a little tricky to navigate but I got it done. 

I am confused about the pricing. The announcement from HQ said the price was only going to go up to $39.99 for new subscribers. I currently have a paid premium membership I am not a new subscriber but the fee to renew was $39.99. 

As I use the gift card which I'm pretty sure cost $29, it didn't affect me but I don't understand the renewal process right now. 

I'm missing something. How do I renew at the $29 rate?

Screenshot_20231011-192850.png

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 3

Perhaps the auto-renew is set to the legacy rate, and gift cards are linked to a sku that assumes a 'new' membership (and rate) even though the purchase is being applied to an existing membership?

ETA: Makes me wonder - is it possible to buy someone with the legacy rate a 1 year extension at their legacy rate, and not the 'new' rate?  Seems like a slightly different workflow; someone would only be able to buy a $40US renewal gift to apply to someone with the legacy $30 rate, if I'm understanding this correctly...

Edited by thebruce0
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
15 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Perhaps the auto-renew is set to the legacy rate, and gift cards are linked to a sku that assumes a 'new' membership (and rate) even though the purchase is being applied to an existing membership?

ETA: Makes me wonder - is it possible to buy someone with the legacy rate a 1 year extension at their legacy rate, and not the 'new' rate?  Seems like a slightly different workflow; someone would only be able to buy a $40US renewal gift to apply to someone with the legacy $30 rate, if I'm understanding this correctly...

It looks to me from Shop Geocaching, that when you purchase a digital membership for someone you have to enter their username which indicates to me it'll be a different price depending on their status?

• Helpful 1
8 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

It looks to me from Shop Geocaching, that when you purchase a digital membership for someone you have to enter their username which indicates to me it'll be a different price depending on their status?

Yeah that's the workflow I'd expect; I was thinking more about gift cards a person needs to redeem. But if the option is there to renew someone else's membership at their current rate, then that solves that question :P

• Upvote 1

I think you both answered my question.

On 10/11/2023 at 7:31 PM, Max and 99 said:

I just renewed my membership with a gift card. It was a little tricky to navigate but I got it done. 

I am confused about the pricing. The announcement from HQ said the price was only going to go up to $39.99 for new subscribers. I currently have a paid premium membership I am not a new subscriber but the fee to renew was $39.99. 

As I use the gift card which I'm pretty sure cost $29, it didn't affect me but I don't understand the renewal process right now. 

I'm missing something. How do I renew at the $29 rate?

Screenshot_20231011-192850.png

On 10/12/2023 at 11:02 AM, thebruce0 said: