How Do I Get in Contact with a Reviewer about an Archived Cache?

MEC21

Specifically, I'm trying to call attention to a geocache that has been archived, but the cache container is still there.  GCH30H has been archived since 2005. When I found the container, a metal ammo box, somebody signed it in 2015. Another cache, GC3568N, was placed about 130 feet away in 2011. I'm pretty sure that cache is gone. It now has 5 DNFs. As the coordinates are so close to each other, my fear is people will find the archived cache. Additionally, the cache owner of GC3568N hasn't been active since 2013. Ideally, if GC3568N is archived, I'd like to place a new cache in the area (actually, I'd just use the old cache container as it's still there). Any help is much appreciated - thanks.

To answer your first question, you're in touch with a reviewer now. Hi there!

The Idaho reviewer is Ice and Wind. You may email them through their profile.

As far as what can be done, by posting a "Needs Reviewer Attention" (formerly Needs Archived) log on GC3568N, you've done what you need to do as far as that cache is concerned. Contacting the reviewer will not necessarily speed up the process - we typically give cache owners some time to fix their caches if there is an issue.

What you can do in the meantime, if you'd like to hide a cache in the vicinity:

- Log your find on GCH30H. After all, it's still there, and you found it.

- Draft a cache listing.

- Wait.

The owner of GCH30H is still active, so it's conceivable they would want their container back. You might consider asking them if you could use it in the case that the existing cache gets archived. On the other hand, there is an argument that they abandoned it when they archived their listing and didn't bother to pick up the container, which means it's up for grabs. I'd say it's up to you which way to go on that.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 5
6 hours ago, geoawareUSA9 said:

The owner of GCH30H is still active, so it's conceivable they would want their container back. You might consider asking them if you could use it in the case that the existing cache gets archived. On the other hand, there is an argument that they abandoned it when they archived their listing and didn't bother to pick up the container, which means it's up for grabs. I'd say it's up to you which way to go on that.

I'm not a lawyer, but if someone knowingly abandons a geocache container for 18 years - even if they simply forgot about it) they no longer have any right of ownership to it IMO.

Even if they genuinely thought the container was gone, they abandoned the location rather than replace the container. They gave up on it a long time ago.

In a case like this I think finders keepers is completely justified.

Edited by JL_HSTRE
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
5 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

I'm not a lawyer, but if someone knowingly abandons a geocache container for 18 years - even if they simply forgot about it) they no longer have any right of ownership to it IMO.

I am a lawyer. But caching isn't about competition or winning arguments to me. Sometimes it's nice to be nice to fellow geocachers. So I presented two alternative courses of action to OP, and they can choose which way to handle it.

• Helpful 3
  • Love 2