Which map?

Hi there,

I just purchased a Garmin Etrex and OS 1:25 000 scale maps of my local area but the co-ordinates on the GPS don't match up with the OS map (well not clearly, there are Lon/Lat markings on the far outside of the map but no grid lines).

If it is not a silly question why do you use the hddd mm mmm & WGS 84 format instead of the OS grid format for finding caches?

Twister

quote:
Originally posted by Twist and Turn:

If it is not a silly question why do you use the hddd mm mmm & WGS 84 format instead of the OS grid format for finding caches?

Twister

It's not a silly question, and the answer is that Geocaching is a global activity which requires a global standard. Hence the sport has adopted WGS84 (becuase that's the native co-ordinate datum of the GPS network) and Lat/Long. as to exactly why the numeric format was chosen, I don't know, and I suspect maybe no-one does now. It was probably a case of settling with the first option that one of the founders' own GPS reciever happened to be set to.

Unless anyone else knows different?

Anyway, it is most definitely not possible to use OS grid co-ordinates anywhere else on the planet except here in the UK, which makes our local system, wonderfuil though it may be, a bit of a global nono.

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

Hi Twist & Turn,

I find myself switching my GPS between hddd mm.mmm and OS grid formats all the time - in fact I'm quite quick at it now. If you're doing a multi-part cache you'll find all the clues and coordinates are in hddd mm.mmm format but to give you an idea of where to go (I don't find the maps on my GPS as user friendly as a nice paper OS map) I need to plot the OS grid ref that my GPS converts for me on the map. I've done it so much now I find it part of the fun!!!! Strange that I am!!!!

Lizzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Why is it that when you're out for a walk carrying a map everyone asks if you're lost?

Like most people, for hunting caches I use the HDDD MM.MMM WGS84 system. For trig points, however, I use the OS 1:25,000 maps and switch my Legend over to the OS grid system. It only takes a couple of clicks on the button and when you're looking at a map and then at the GPSr it makes it much easier to see exactly where you are. It's not that important around the 'Home Counties' where I live as there are always easy landmarks to give you some guidance but it's a different matter if you're half way up a mountain in the Scottish highlands, looking for an easier route to the top icon_wink.gif

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

quote:
Originally posted by Liz Codd:

I find myself switching my GPS between hddd mm.mmm and OS grid formats all the time

Presumably you not only change from hddd mm.mmm to OS grid but also from WGS84 to OSGB? Otherwise, you'll be somewhat "offset".

=====

There's no such thing as a free lunchbox!

quote:
Originally posted by washboy:

quote:
Originally posted by Liz Codd:

I find myself switching my GPS between hddd mm.mmm and OS grid formats all the time

Presumably you not only change from hddd mm.mmm to OS grid but also from WGS84 to OSGB? Otherwise, you'll be somewhat "offset".

=====

_There's no such thing as a free lunchbox!_

I'm not sure about the 'lesser' members of the Etrex family but with my Legend, if you select 'British Grid' as the Position Format the Map Datum automatically changes to 'Ord Srvy GB'. Likewise if you select 'hddd mm.mmm' as the Position Format it changes the Map Datum to 'WGS 84'.

However... if you change the Map Datum manually, the Position Format is NOT automatically changed.

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

For maps (OSGB) combined with WGS84 caches, you can use CacheMaps. It supports downloading cache info en show it on several OSGB datum maps at your choice. Datum conversion is done internally and shown with the waypoints if you want.

On the download area you can also find a convertor for WGS84 to OSGB.

BigBird icon_smile.gif

-- there is no spoon --