Need Explorist update

I don't remember much being updated on that unit since it shipped.

You can try magellangps.com, but frankly I wouldn't expect a lot given how many times they've rolled over the product lines since then.

I would also be weary of downloading software for these from sites you've never used before. These are tiny little mobile Windows PCs (like a PDA). They have all the security and robustness you should have grown to expect of a Microsoft-based product and it's easy to imagine Bad Guys grabbing an Explorist Windows update (in the days when they were plentiful) and modifying them in nefarious ways, waiting for you to attach it to your computer and then steal all your unmatched socks and send them to a kid's basement in Bucharest or something. So be careful of downloads from untrusted sites. https://www.magellangps.com/map-update-scam-alert - and some of those sites that are highly ranked on Google are pretty doggone convincing.

Even most of the little fan-hosted sites have shuttered their doors for Magellan device support in recent years.

If you've replaced your "destroyed" unit with a one that works and you trust it to survive a factory reset, I'd reset it and move on. Moving from 2007 maps to 2009 maps (or whatever) is likely to be such a small change in practice that if you can't get the update from the factory, I wouldn't stress about it.

Good luck

P.S. Two Explorist support items top the page here right now.  They're clearly staging an uprising. They're going to be the next Vinyl!

Edited by robertlipe
  • Helpful 1

Anyone who has owned and used an eXplorist GC will know the final update from Magellan for this model literally transformed it into an entirely new device. 

The good news for those who still use these is that they are still relatively plentiful and inexpensive in the used GPSr marketplace. 

Which firmware version is loaded to your replacement unit?

Edited by Atlas Cached
9 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

Anyone who has owned and used an eXplorist GC will know the final update from Magellan for this model literally transformed it into an entirely new device. 

The good news for those who still use these is that they are still relatively plentiful and inexpensive in the used GPSr marketplace. 

Which firmware version is loaded to your replacement unit?

right now it's 1.7. For some reason. GSAK won't recognize it.

Magellan eXplorist GC Firmware Update 2.15 for Windows or Mac.

Details:

Ver. 2.15 - 10/31/2013

UI Improvement.
Support Groundspeak Geocache Favorites.
Allow to disable Awards & Merit Badges.
Supports additional post-sale National Geographic and Digital Globe Maps.
New Preloaded Map.
Shaded Relief for Map.
Allow enable/disable position-to-destination line with active Goto.
Additional Language Support.
Various bug fixes.

Edited by Atlas Cached
6 hours ago, ArtfulCodger said:

Atlas Cached-The device I had wouldn't attach to the internet-defective. I have another one, but it still has the 1.0 firmware. Do you have a link to update it to 1.7. I have to do that before I can take it to 2.15.

Magellan eXplorist GC Firmware Update 1.6 for Windows.

Ver. 1.6 - 02/23/2011
   Bad Nav Fields (related to bad positioning close to destination).
   Position averaging bug when placing geocaches.
   Smart Arrow slow down.

Magellan eXplorist GC Firmware Update 1.7 v2 for Windows.

Ver. 1.7 - 06/23/2011
   Messages were added to the startup screen to notify the user of the current activity. The messages are:
      "Loading Track..."
      "Loading Geocaches..."
      "Loading Waypoints..."
      "Recovering Database..."
      "Indexing Database..."
   A maximum of 1000 files will be read and loaded from the device. Any additional files beyond the 1000 will not be loaded. A message notifying the user will be displayed.

The message will be: "1000 .GPX files loaded. Please consolidate additional files."
   The priority of reading the files will be the following:
      Tracks
      Geocaches
      Waypoints
   NOTE: Maximum number of Geocaches is still 10,000.
   Modification of the database loading and rollback process to improve on the load time.

Hey Atlas Cached,

Thank you for finding this for the community,

You wouldn't know what the latest version of Vantage point would be by chance ??,

I live in Australia where Magellan I think went bust over here, and the website doesn't work at all,

Thanks,

James0116

On 7/25/2023 at 10:26 AM, Atlas Cached said:

Ver. 1.6 - 02/23/2011
   Smart Arrow slow down.

Ver. 1.7 - 06/23/2011
   Messages were added to the startup screen to notify the user of the current activity. The messages are:
      "Loading Track..."
      "Loading Geocaches..."
      "Loading Waypoints..."
      "Recovering Database..."
      "Indexing Database..."
   A maximum of 1000 files will be read and loaded from the device. Any additional files beyond the 1000 will not be loaded. A message notifying the user will be displayed.

The message will be: "1000 .GPX files loaded. Please consolidate additional files."
      Tracks
      Geocaches
      Waypoints
   Modification of the database loading and rollback process to improve on the load time.

On 7/25/2023 at 10:26 AM, Atlas Cached said:

Ver. 1.6 - 02/23/2011
   Smart Arrow slow down.

Ver. 1.7 - 06/23/2011
      "Loading Track..."
      "Loading Geocaches..."
      "Loading Waypoints..."
      "Recovering Database..."
      "Indexing Database..."

Tracks
      Geocaches
      Waypoints

Also, I updated to 1.6 and it won't seem to connect to the computer after this, is there a way to fix this as I have one GC GPS now at 1.6 and two on 1.7,

do you know a way to jump them so i can download geocaches onto them please

Thanks,

James A

2 hours ago, James0116 said:

Also, I updated to 1.6 and it won't seem to connect to the computer after this, is there a way to fix this as I have one GC GPS now at 1.6 and two on 1.7,

do you know a way to jump them so i can download geocaches onto them please

Thanks,

James A

I finally got this to work,

to get it to work you have to go into the settings, change the connectivity to NMEA Mode then connect it to the computer, and while connected change the setting from NMEA Mode to Connect to PC mode and then choose to connect, this then gets the device to recognise the GPS,

Thanks again everyone for your help here :)

James0116