Garmin 64s and uploading GPX files

I own a Garmin 64s which I have never really used much. Since the Geocaching app was developed, I have been "one of those Cachers" who rely exclusively on my smart phone for Geocaching.

Well...I'm planning a trip through eastern Montana and I know there is no cellular coverage in most of that area, so I'm trying to give myself a crash course on my GPSr.

I made a list on geocaching.com and then downloaded the GPX file for that list. I connected the Garmin 64s to my laptop (running Windows 11) via the mini USB cable and copied and pasted the file into the Garmin/GPX folder on the GPSr.

When I disconnect the GPSr from the laptop and open the Geocaching app on the handheld device, I only see 2 of the 16 Geocaches from the list.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Please let me know if you need more information in order to assist me with my troubleshooting efforts.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

6 hours ago, Vicious Cycle said:

I own a Garmin 64s which I have never really used much. Since the Geocaching app was developed, I have been "one of those Cachers" who rely exclusively on my smart phone for Geocaching.

Well...I'm planning a trip through eastern Montana and I know there is no cellular coverage in most of that area, so I'm trying to give myself a crash course on my GPSr.

I made a list on geocaching.com and then downloaded the GPX file for that list. I connected the Garmin 64s to my laptop (running Windows 11) via the mini USB cable and copied and pasted the file into the Garmin/GPX folder on the GPSr.

When I disconnect the GPSr from the laptop and open the Geocaching app on the handheld device, I only see 2 of the 16 Geocaches from the list.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Please let me know if you need more information in order to assist me with my troubleshooting efforts.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

There are filters that can be set, to hide one's finds and/or hide particular cache types.  Sometimes the filters become automagically set.

And beware that caches beyond about 100 miles from where the GPS thinks it is are also not directly available.  Scroll to where they are on the map (or get closer).

Edited by kunarion

I do not want to discourage you from using the Garmin.  But I just want to note that I do all of my “serious” caching on a phone — one that I only use offline.  On both Android and IOS there are caching apps that have great maps and fully support offline caching.

There may be reasons to use the Garmin, especially depending on the phone.  Get to know each device and it can be great to have both on a trip.