How best to translate geocache information when in another country

Llama Searchers

We are traveling to Bergen, Norway and would love to geocache in and around the city. As we would expect all cache information, hints, logs are in Norwegian.  Google translate is quite cumbersome and unreliable - apple translate does not recognize the language.

are there any apps you’ve found that do the trick or some other tips? Thank you!! Llamas

2 hours ago, Llama Searchers said:

Google translate is quite cumbersome and unreliable - apple translate does not recognize the language.

Perhaps, but it is your best option.

I started geocaching in 2007, when I was stationed in Germany. I did not speak much German. I spoke no Norwegian, Greek, Estonian, Finnish, Italian, Maltese, Czech, Ukrainian, Polish... etc.

This did not stop me from caching in over 20 countries in Europe.

What it meant was that I had to plan ahead and translate caches ahead of time (I believe my machine translator of choice back then was Altavista's Babelfish) and either edit the cache descriptions in GSAK before uploading them to my GPSr, or keep a small notebook with a small translation of what I needed.

(I also carried a pocket German dictionary with me to help with multis.)

So, while Google translate might be clunky, I cached for years without it, and that was much clunkier.

Our family returned to Europe in 2018, and that tour was.much easier due to smart phones. All I had to do was install the Google Translate app on my phone and copy and paste. I cache with an Android phone, so from the Geocaching app, I could just open the cache descriptions in Chrome and use Chrome's native Google translate function.