VERY slow uploading images!

Titanium

Hello!

Why has it recently been so slow uploading images? Even if they only are a couple of MB. It can take up to a minute or more sometimes. I remember way before that it took like seconds to do it. Nothing wrong with my connection.

Thanks!

Update:

It took me 2,15 min to upload an image of 9 mb! Is this normal??

Edited by Titanium
3 hours ago, Titanium said:

an image of 9 mb!

That's a huge file to send to the Geocaching site.  What are the photo dimensions and JPG compression settings?

Re-size it small (800x600 is about right), set it to 70% (or so) JPG compression, and you may get a file that is less than 200KB which uploads fast.   A 9MB file is 45x larger.  Those do require a lot of time to upload.

If you send a giant photo, it gets shrunk and compressed by the site after upload to whatever dimensions they're doing today.  You end up with a file size that would have uploaded quickly if you had prepared it in advance.

Edited by kunarion

Hello kunarion!

Thanks for the answer!

I know that the files get compressed when they upload, but didnt check how much so that is why I have always uploaded them uncompressed to ensure the best possible picture. Did not have an issue with the upload speed before, but maybee they have changed something. I experimented a bit and the loss of image quality is not that much it seems after all. Resized before Iuploaded them in windows paint to 25% of the size and it is almost the same as geoaching website compresses them.

Feel a little bit dumb, but I admit know have learned something new. Im not a photo expert at any means. Thanks for the help!

• Helpful 1