Changing D/T rating of your Geocache after publication and finders logging it...

Mordenpool

Apologies if this should be a different topic, but:

Can one change the Hide Date of a cache after the fact?

For example: I registered a GC (cache request) for one Halloween, but could not place the cache at that time, so it was published the next Halloween. 2022 would be more appropriate than 2021. Can I alter it?

For example 2:  I have a series of caches I have been working on for an absurdly long time. When I get close to actually being ready to publish, can I change the hide date to reflect that?

18 minutes ago, mysterion604 said:

Apologies if this should be a different topic, but:

For example: I registered a GC (cache request) for one Halloween, but could not place the cache at that time, so it was published the next Halloween. 2022 would be more appropriate than 2021. Can I alter it?

For example 2:  I have a series of caches I have been working on for an absurdly long time. When I get close to actually being ready to publish, can I change the hide date to reflect that?

The hide date can be edited either prior to publication or afterwards, with some limitations. You can't set it into the future (except for events) and I think there's a limit on how far back you can go into the past. Just prior to submitting it, I always try to set mine to the date I actually placed the cache at GZ, but a few times I've forgotten and had to make a quick edit straight after publication. Changing it after a cache has had some finds is probably not a good idea, though, as it can mess with people's stats and upset challenge qualifications.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
9 hours ago, mysterion604 said:

The only thing you can't change is a cache's type.  Be sure to change it before a find because it may affect others stats afterwards.

On 1/7/2023 at 12:47 AM, barefootjeff said:

The hide date can be edited either prior to publication or afterwards, with some limitations. You can't set it into the future (except for events) and I think there's a limit on how far back you can go into the past. Just prior to submitting it, I always try to set mine to the date I actually placed the cache at GZ, but a few times I've forgotten and had to make a quick edit straight after publication. Changing it after a cache has had some finds is probably not a good idea, though, as it can mess with people's stats and upset challenge qualifications.

In the end, I decided I could not change the hidden date for my Helloween (GC9HZK6)  cache - not because peoples' stats mattered to me, but rather because it was published by the reviewer on Oct.30, 2022 (and hide date was officially Oct. 31, 2021). Couldn't imagine it making sense that it was somehow published by the reviewer before its official existence at GZ, not to mention having two "notes" by people who solved but did not find. Normally, dates mean little to me, but having my Helloween cache be on Halloween was an important thematic detail.

In the rest of the cases, I think the hide date is not important for the theme of the cache, so I will will alter the hide dates of my pending caches just so it makes it seem closer to the publishing date (despite the long development process), and I will do it before it is published.

Edited by mysterion604