BC caches archived until we get rain..

MercRocks

Iv'e seen logs of some bc caches that have been found in the backcountry in the last few days obviously ignoring the dry conditions, and the voluntary travel ban. So I have temporarily disabled 3 of my caches that you have to drive to...We just can't take the chance..If you go after the other's PLEASE be very carefull and carry lot's of water....R

[This message was edited by MercRocks on August 24, 2003 at 09:05 PM.]

Hey MercRocks,

Great idea! After reading your post, I've disabled my Looking Down Lindeman cache as well, since it's in a back country area. It might not stop anyone from going there or logging the cache if they really want to, but perhaps it will persuade some to wait until the fire risk has dropped. I'll also be referring other cachers that I know to this post.

Thanks for showing your concern for the preservation of our forests.

Kudos guys for temporarily taking your caches off line. Some peolple just don't seem to have the sense God gave a turnip. There was a park ranger on the news the other day, explaining how utterly flabbergasted he was was to stumble upon a family of four in the back country, in a closed area, oblivously roasting a couple of chickens over an open, roaring bonfire. Once you get done shaking your head over the bonfire bit - think about this... who the hell hikes several hours into the back country with a couple of raw chickens with them?

I encourage every cache owner to check up on their cache and determine if the park / area has been closed off and post a note on the cache page, etc.

I attempted a cache (approx. 25km drive one way) late this afternoon only to discover the park has been blocked off. :-(

BACKCOUNTRY TRAVEL BAN

All backcountry travel in Southern BC has now been banned.

A map of the area is located here.

quote:
“We are confident that outdoor enthusiasts understand the extreme risk and the need to prohibit access,” said Water, Land and Air Protection Minister Joyce Murray. “While the majority of our parks remain open, park visitors will have to limit their activities to supervised camping and day-use.”

The article

A great serial killer once said, "Beauty is only skin deep. Trust me, I've looked..."

Good News For Some!

As of September 9th, the North Shore mountains are now open again.

The following (as of Sep 9, 2003) is from the Ministry of Forests Protection Branch:

The following forest districts are again open to backcountry travel: Squamish, South Island (Vancouver Island), Rocky Mountain, Columbia, Arrow Boundary and Kootenay Lake, except where other closures are in effect.

The following forest districts remain closed because of the continuing extreme fire hazard: Chilliwack, Cascades, Kamloops, Okanagan-Shuswap and the Headwaters forest district south of Blue River.

See the Ministry of Forests website for more information.

You can also call 1-888-3FOREST for more information.