An interesting cache adventure

Jayeffel

Not very long ago a cacher posted four new caches that were replacements for archived caches in a series, the series is now again complete with ten or eleven caches total. I went to see about the  new caches ( had the rest logged as finds). At the first cache I saw a friend had been there before me but after an extensive search of the area had a DNF. I looked over the area very well and also had a DNF to log. Went on the find the other new ones and saw my friend was FTF on all of them.

I went to find another cache near that series that was very interesting also.  After coming back home I logged the results. I noticed soon afterward the CO had checked the cache and noticed it was missing so he disabled it until a replacement was in place. 

Yesterday I saw the cache was enabled so last evening I drove down to make another attempt. There are actually many good hiding places there, but I started my search where the mapped coordinates indicated. When I got to that spot I saw a  key-holder container lying on the ground in the open - the replacement I figured. I opened it to find a brand new log not marred with any signatures, I changed that quickly.

Then I went to try to figure out where the CO may have placed it figuring it had fallen out. I looked over the available places to hide and spied something odd, I looked down and found another key-holder wedged between a pole and a cable on the ground. I checked it and saw a cache log with no signatures on it either, the original cache container I figured! Now what do I do? I simply signed that log also, making a notation #2 on the second log. I put them both back at the same spot - two signed logs but only one cache. 

I notified the CO of my event and he later sent a message stating the second spot was the correct one. So that cache is back where it began, I let it up to him to do what he desires with the extra cache. I also notified my friend - not telling him where the cache container is but what happened. My guess is the CO took the logged DNF at face value and really did not check to see if it was missing when he disabled it , but not seeing the cache where he placed it  first? I may be wrong again though, maybe he simply did not see it either- dark?

I guess I could have simply kept the extra one to use and telling the CO , but it was not mine.

This is a nice series of caches along one road and the parking is superb, plenty of room on the berm. Maybe they planned for possible extension when making the road.

Now to find another cache that is vexing me!

• Love 1