URBAN Caching - How Urban can you get?

ross&kate

We've (Ross&Kate) been experimenting with urban micro-cache's (Ottawa Area - 3 in place now) I think it's pretty cool to have caches in very urban places. I still want to get one into the heart of downtown.

The challenge is that the more intensly urban, the more probable that it will be swiped and disappear. However, I was inspired by one I read about in Germany, on a busy street where the cache hunters all bend over to pretend they're tying their shoes to extract it, go to the pub-patio next door to do the deed, then return it with a similar pose.

The benefit is that it makes geocaching accessible to those without GPS's since they can accurately see the location relative to streets & landmarks on mapquest or mapblast either for placing or seeking.

Any experiences with ultra-urban caches anyone? Or is this still largely unexploited territory.

BTW - I tweaked a version of the geocaching 'manifesto' (ie the little 'this is a geocache' letter) suitable for 35mm containers micro-caches It's on the 'how to' part of the site.

DISCLAIMER - Not trying to take anything away from a hike through the bush for remote caches - this is just another variant on the theme for a bit of fun & variety! icon_smile.gif

-Ross&Kater

I found a number of urban caches on a visit to Houston a while ago. I wouldn't have been able to find any wilderness caches while I was there, so I was happy the urban caches were about. It gave me something to do in the evening, as opposed to sitting in a hotel room.

Thumbs up.

I'm not a big fan of urban caches that try to bring the hike into the city; you usually find yourself in the middle of other peoples' refuse. Even caches in city parks are 'wanna be' caches in my opinion. They alomst seem like a lazy attempt to place a 'scenic' cache. On the other hand, urban caches in the heart of popular or high traffic areas are caches all on their own. To stay hidden, they usually have to be small and of particular design. The geocacher also has the challenge of appearing nonchalant when hunting them. As has been mentioned, J.A.R.S. has come up with some pretty neat ideas for such cahces. I.E., old couch medicine tins with a magnet stuck to man-made structures. these types of urban caches you look for on your lunch break!

MajBach

You can't have everything,where would you put it?

1compass.gif

quote:
Originally posted by MajBach:

Even caches in city parks are 'wanna be' caches in my opinion. They alomst seem like a lazy attempt to place a 'scenic' cache.

On the other hand, urban caches in the heart of popular or high traffic areas are caches all on their own. To stay hidden, they usually have to be small and of particular design. The geocacher also has the challenge of appearing nonchalant when hunting them. As has been mentioned, J.A.R.S. has come up with some pretty neat ideas for such cahces. I.E., old couch medicine tins with a magnet stuck to man-made structures. these types of urban caches you look for on your lunch break!

MajBach

_

Too bad you think that, though I see your points.

I have a few urban caches in Montreal, but I agree that they are "drive ins" with barely 500 metre walks.

One in particular (a microcache) is in the structure of a bridge ... Iced Tea 12's Excellent Adventure.

quote:
Originally posted by malak:

Too bad you think that, though I see your points.

I guess I should clarify that. I like urban caches that are 'Urban'. Ones at a bus stop, or statue or something. Ones that you don't need to change your clothes to go on. I was just feel that if I want to go for a hike someplace scenic, I prefer to do it outside of a city, not in a city park littered with garbage and people on their way home from work.

MajBach

1compass.gif

Personally I'd like to commend Ross and Kate as they were the first in this area to hide any micros. These are neat caches in their own right and seeing as they are labelled "Urban" the hardcore hiker type can clearly see that this cache might not be up their alley. Personally I DO enjoy a cache I can nab while on company time here and there..LOL (see my logicon_wink.gif Also to be commended is Ross & Kate's patented "hanger device®"..Very neat lil innovation!... Great lil spot on no 3 too you twoicon_smile.gif

Cheers, cliffy icon_smile.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------

sig.jpg

"Whad'ya mean you didn't save the location of the truck?..EEEK!!!..."

uh oh! Just noticed MajBach posted 1 min before me..... Just waiting for the Sens bashing to begin......lol

Go easy on me Maj... The kids have already put me on the injured roster! lol

sig.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by cliffy:

uh oh! Just noticed MajBach posted 1 min before me..... Just waiting for the Sens bashing to begin......lol

Go easy on me Maj... The kids have already put me on the injured roster! lol

http://members.rogers.com/bushguy/geo/sig.jpg

Nah. As much fun as it is to give you a ribbing halfway through the series, I'm not the type to rub it in when it's all over (I just pretend to in my head - heh heh).

It was a good series.

beerchug.gif

MajBach

1compass.gif

I see your point Majbach - I think you were saying urban is good if it's really urban, but if it's in scruffy, garbage strewn areas just because those are easier to hides stuff without it being found - it's not too fun.

The challenge is to find urban places that don't make you want to run home for a shower afterward.

Thanks for the compliments on our first few Urban attempts, CLIFFY! We've enjoyed the response to those, and the chance to contribute a tiny bit to the 'art' of caching.

I think the bottom line is that when you don't have time for an out of town hike, it's fun to try to find something in the midst of the urban hubbub.

R+K

I've been caching around Toronto now for a while and the reason I like the urban caches is that they have opened up a whole other part of the city to me.

Toronto is a maze of ravine trails that criss cross the city. There are 100's of km of bike trails within the GTA. Most of this I really didn't know that much about. There ARE examples of dirty caches. A couple of caches I've been to I wouldn't recommend going to at night.

Overall I'd have to disagree that these are "wannabe" caches. It takes more skill to hide something in "wooded" area surrounded by houses and people then it does to just go off into the woods and stick something under a log!

I'm very thankful for the urban caches in Toronto. I've enjoyed finding the parks and trails that they are placed in. I've enjoyed finding the hardcore urban caches hidden on a street corner. I've enjoyed the urban virtuals, pointing out really cool features of the city that I never noticed before.

Anyways, MB, it's cool if you don't like urban caches! icon_smile.gif

Rob

Mobile Cache Command